• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goldsmith A-2 Reproduction - Headwind Mfg Co

Skyhawk

Ok guys, I got the next test jacket in. We solved the collar issues and now it is looking good. The epaulets are fixed. The pocket flaps are going to be made slightly bigger. They did not come out quite right this time. Also the zipper rivet and windflap attachment needs more adjustment to be 100% correct. Other than those few things, we are set. I expect to have the first customer jacket complete by next week sometime.
GS-New-Test-1.jpg

Regards,
Jay

Last edited:

Skyhawk

Jay:
What size is this test jacket ?
It's a 38. It's the pattern for the first customer's jacket. I was also testing the hide as another option. It failed. That hide is a medium russet horse of about 1.16mm. It was supposed to be similar to Shinki but it's not. My other light russet blows it clean out of the air. That's the good news.... well, along with getting everything about how I want it. Made it worth doing another test jacket.

B-Man2

It's a 38. It's the pattern for the first customer's jacket. I was also testing the hide as another option. It failed. That hide is a medium russet horse of about 1.16mm. It was supposed to be similar to Shinki but it's not. My other light russet blows it clean out of the air. That's the good news.... well, along with getting everything about how I want it. Made it worth doing another test jacket.
Jayyyyyyyyy.........this is your conscious ... make the test jacket in a 46....... Jayyyyy are you listening?????

Skyhawk

Looking good
Considering the depth of the collarstand, to my eye the back of the collar looks too deep to sit nicely, might be worth a look?

Hey Ken, thanks for the input. I think we are good on the collar depth. Take a look at the way the original sits (not to nicely) and the amount of leather that appears on top of the collar stand. We could probably go even bigger based on the photo but that would be too huge IMO. This jacket had a very large collar.
Close-up-collar.png

New-Collar-1.jpg
New-Collar-2.jpg

Regards,
Jay

Ken at Aero Leather

My point is that the fold on the back of the neck will sit very high and is very likely to create an uncomfortable fold / crease somewhere at the back of the neck
We had a similar problem with a Cafe Racer where the height to the back of the collar was designed to sit neatly when crouched over a bike. Worked fine until the wearer stood up.
Try it on, stand erect and photograph it from the side. I'm certain the top edge of our old cafe racer would have sat lower than the fold in your Goldsmith collar.......unless your picture is misleading (or the front neck is cut very low)

Skyhawk

I beta tested the collar design as I do with every model of jacket. The collar works fine and is not uncomfortable. All of our #1 test jackets are made in my size so I can make sure the fit and features are correct.

This collar design was strange. No wonder they changed it for later jackets. Look at the size difference in the photos.
A1_SAT_Group-cut.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 1_50_19 AM.png

Goldsmith-2.jpg

This close up shows the width of the collar on the right side. It appears to be at least 4" from collar stand to the edge of the collar. The edge extends all the way out near the middle of the epaulet. Ours is not 4" but I think we captured the look very well. I don't think the original design was very practical.
Close-up-collar-Width.jpg

Regards,
Jay

Nickb123

This started off with the button pockets being the recognizing feature of these earliest of A-2s. Now, I think instead it should be the collar! Far out.

Skyhawk

what is the loop on the collar for ? sz 48 too !
Yes we make a 48 and custom sizing too.
That loop is to button the collar in the up position like a turtle neck.

That was the first clue in identifying the jacket as the Goldsmith. It is unlike any other A-2.