• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goat or Buffalo ?

escorpion_72

Hello everybody,
I was thinking of a hide that is tough and resistant to everyday wear.
I'm leaning towards the buffalo but I'm not quite sure yet.
The reason for these two hides is that they are very grainy and I already have smooth horse and jerky horse. But I still do not know which of these two is the toughest and most resistant.

I hope that you experts could give me an advice or two.

Regards,

escorpion_72

Vcruiser

If you are considering Aero's russet buffalo compared to goat...I think goat would definately be more abrasion resistant and my choice. The russet buffalo is pebbly like goat...however their "seal" buffalo is different in grain with a crisp finish similar to old jerky HH in my view. A tough hide that seems very durable.
Here is a pic of my Aero buff A2.....
Van

100_0428.jpg

MikeyB-17

There is a scale of toughness ie. abrasion resistance-I don't know how it goes but I understand goat is pretty high on it. Goat is usually fairly thin but very tough. Buffalo can be a lovely hide, but I would imagine for a similar level of toughness you'd need a thicker hide in the buffalo. I've seen jackets made from buffalo with a fantastic grain like old horse. The one buffalo jacket I had was a Highwayman which I didn't keep long, the hide was quite stiff and cardboardy and never really softened up, but I don't think that was representative of buffalo as whole. I don't think there's much in it but I'd be inclined towards the goat-I'm starting to prefer a lighter hide these days.

airfrogusmc

I had a Chicago police jacket years ago and it was buffalo and it is some tough stuff but so is goat. Ya see allot of very wearable 60+ year old jackets in goat and goat is extremely wearable.

tamoko

Most old 1930 in A-1 style Jackets from buffalo, wearable too.
But i like goat, lightweight and very comfortable.But for motorcycle bater Buffalo.

John Lever

I had to cut some goatskin recently. It was a sample from Aero and was very thick at about 3 mm. or just a shade under 1/8 of an inch. It was as tough as old boots, our kitchen scissors could hardly manage it. It was not due to the thickness just it's density and resilience.

A

Anonymous

Goat make a great flight jacket. Flight Suits says they get ones in for repair that look great, just need knits/zips after 60 odd years.