• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

German leather flight jackets

Thomas Koehle

Lookalikes for sure, even lots of them are described "over the top" like "Museums Edition..."
Well but on the other hand NH's jackets are pretty nice for their own compared to their prices, if you're not interested in "historical correctness" and only want a nice durable leather jacket.
And for the jacket I posted before: there is nothing that is not there...

you nailed that

Kermit3D

Factory patina... but no sand paper, no solvents (as others may do..).... no HWT, no tumbler etc...
We have a special treatment....which of course we keep confidential ;) and offer as a special service.

I have a business idea !
I buy you Hartmann jackets with this special patina, I make little holes on the chest and on the shoulders ...
... and I sell them for $2500 and say that they are "100% authentic luftwaffe jackets worn by the better aces". :cool::D

I think a lot of "experts" would be fooled.

Last edited:

B-Man2

Interestingly after I clicked on the Ebay link to look at the jacket , I just received a “Special Offer “ from the seller of 2,200 Euros if I purchased it within the next 24 hours.
“ Oh Hell Yes !“
How can you turn down that special deal:rolleyes:
For that price it better come with a rock solid provenance and I don’t mean a photo of a WWII pilot wearing a look alike jacket..

Enigma1938

In fact this happens quite a lot. Maybe 80% of the "real luftwaffe jackets" out there are fakes and were modified by some tricksters to gain higher prices.

I have a business idea !
I buy you Hartmann jackets with this special patina, I make little holes on the chest and on the shoulders ...
... and I sell them for $2500 and say that they are "100% authentic luftwaffe jackets worn by the better aces". :cool::D

I think a lot of "experts" would be fooled.

Enigma1938

Nice jacket and sweet patina pilot, especially it is not too "over the top".
Btw, did you ever had an issue with a "Hartmann" replica you sold, like a customer complaint or a material failure or something like that?

Pilot

Nice jacket and sweet patina pilot, especially it is not too "over the top".
Btw, did you ever had an issue with a "Hartmann" replica you sold, like a customer complaint or a material failure or something like that?
In my first 3 weeks no issue.
As far as I know, the former maker had one issue with an open stitching ( a few mm). The owner of the jacket repared it by himself.
No others of what I know.

B-Man2

Question?

This is probably going to be for Brice, but anyone please jump in here.
I've never seen any photos of WWII German pilots, either fighter pilots or bomber pilots with "Patched or Painted' jackets. And only a very few British jackets were "accessorized"
I'm assuming that patching jackets was pretty much a US thing, and that the German pilots didn't go in for that sort of thing?

Pilot

Question?

This is probably going to be for Brice, but anyone please jump in here.
I've never seen any photos of WWII German pilots, either fighter pilots or bomber pilots with "Patched or Painted' jackets. And only a very few British jackets were "accessorized"
I'm assuming that patching jackets was pretty much a US thing, and that the German pilots didn't go in for that sort of thing?
Good question;
the only “ decorated” jackets worn by LW pilots, I saw in photos were US AAF B-3 and one A-2. Never saw a decorated ( non AAF jacket ) on a WW2 LW pilot.

B-Man2

Good question;
the only “ decorated” jackets worn by LW pilots, I saw in photos were US AAF B-3 and one A-2. Never saw a decorated ( non AAF jacket ) on a WW2 LW pilot.
Interesting ... I bet that the LW uniform standards frowned on that sort of thing as their uniforms were alway impeccably designed and very classic in their day . For the officers of course.

Kermit3D

It was tolerated that some pilots wore civilian jackets. I think that making unregulated "degenerate" art on jackets would have been badly perceived.

... When I think about it, planes were decorated (nose art). :rolleyes:

Agree, but moderately if compared to the USAAF/USN nose art ;) .
Guess the LW and the RAF had similar “ opinions “ on decorating flight jackets.
It's because the German and English air forces were crewed by "Gentlemen of means".......
American flyers were usually crop dusters and such ...... it's more about the culture and society behind the air force

Great expert information on the cyclist jacket here, glad I've found this resource.

I have a question for @Pilot if I may: is there a source for the chrome-plated pressed iron buckle (just looking for one)? Any help would be much appreciated.

Pilot

Great expert information on the cyclist jacket here, glad I've found this resource.

I have a question for @Pilot if I may: is there a source for the chrome-plated pressed iron buckle (just looking for one)? Any help would be much appreciated.
Hello and thx.
Happy to help you out.
We sell them 380 Euro/ set plus DHL shipping. Only 3 sets for spare sales left.
Please let us know

Last edited: