• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

German A2!

VeraVoulik

I've always found this interesting that Luftwaffe aircrew liked wearing capture flight gear. I talked with a JU-52 jock several years back and he said any Allied flight jacket was worth its weight in gold and they'd wear them in a heartbeat (never letting it out of their sight).
Imagine a 91st BG pilot ambling up to his B-17 at Bassingbourn wearing a black Luftwaffe jacket? That wouldn't go over at all!
That said, German gear was worn in the field by GIs, especially paratroopers. German belts and stuff hanging from them wasn't uncommon among "the devils on baggy pants" soon after a combat jump (of course, once they got back to a garrison mode, all that stuff would be packed away).
You're right. On Eastern Front, soviet pilots were wearing more german flight jacket trophies as they have poorer gear (except luckies who were issued Irvin suits).

JonnyCrow

You're right. On Eastern Front, soviet pilots were wearing more german flight jacket trophies as they have poorer gear (except luckies who were issued Irvin suits).
I've had a couple of Bulgarian white sheepskin flight suits, chocolate brown lamb wool lining worn by luftwaffe ww2 very thick and warm, nice though

Micawber

I've always found this interesting that Luftwaffe aircrew liked wearing capture flight gear. I talked with a JU-52 jock several years back and he said any Allied flight jacket was worth its weight in gold and they'd wear them in a heartbeat (never letting it out of their sight).
Imagine a 91st BG pilot ambling up to his B-17 at Bassingbourn wearing a black Luftwaffe jacket? That wouldn't go over at all!
That said, German gear was worn in the field by GIs, especially paratroopers. German belts and stuff hanging from them wasn't uncommon among "the devils on baggy pants" soon after a combat jump (of course, once they got back to a garrison mode, all that stuff would be packed away).
You'll not be surprised when I say things were often pretty relaxed on the base at Station 121 during the 91st's tenure. Totally different when the RAF were there both pre, early and postwar years up to 1969 when they moved out.

Kermit3D

The luftwaffe jackets were not black ;)

As shown by jack31916 in this post, this Belgian Flying Officer attached to an RAF squadron is wearing a cyclist jacket (Hartmann jacket). Even if it is not a jacket issued for luftwaffe pilots, it was widely worn by them.
But I agree that it must be a very rare exception... and I also find it hard to imagine an RAF bomber crew member wearing a real luftwaffe issued jacket.

MauldinFan

You'll not be surprised when I say things were often pretty relaxed on the base at Station 121 during the 91st's tenure.
You are of course right about that, but after talking with many 91st vets through the 80s and 90s, I wouldn't bet a penny that you'd see someone walking around with a Luftwaffe jacket at the base there. RAF stuff? Sure, you'd see lots of it, but have you ever seen a single photo of any 8th AF crewman wearing Luftwaffe flight gear?
I'm not saying it never EVER happened anywhere in the 8th, but I have never seen photos of heard a vet to support it happened.

Micawber

You are of course right about that, but after talking with many 91st vets through the 80s and 90s, I wouldn't bet a penny that you'd see someone walking around with a Luftwaffe jacket at the base there. RAF stuff? Sure, you'd see lots of it, but have you ever seen a single photo of any 8th AF crewman wearing Luftwaffe flight gear?
I'm not saying it never EVER happened anywhere in the 8th, but I have never seen photos of heard a vet to support it happened.

Deleted. I can't be arsed.

Last edited:

MauldinFan

Not trying to be argumentative, but I'd love to see photos to prove me wrong. I've just never seen such a photo of heard of it from a vet.

M. from Berlin

I've had a couple of Bulgarian white sheepskin flight suits, chocolate brown lamb wool lining worn by luftwaffe ww2 very thick and warm, nice though
In Sofia there were a few companies run by German-born emigrants who practiced the furrier's trade. The very good quality secured orders from the German Wehrmacht for the production of flight clothing. For example Loutre AG Sofia and Alaska AG Sofia. My grandfather's brother, sergeant major at German Luftwaffe, wore the Fliegersonderbekleidung in white, he was stationed in Bulgaria.

Mario

Pilot

Not trying to be argumentative, but I'd love to see photos to prove me wrong. I've just never seen such a photo of heard of it from a vet.
Here is one…not sure he is driving or flying with this set… but apparently he is wearing it .. I have a few more but need to dig them out… may take time.
DB60EC22-05B1-4D14-BB06-04DF4F8083D7.jpeg

JonnyCrow

In Sofia there were a few companies run by German-born emigrants who practiced the furrier's trade. The very good quality secured orders from the German Wehrmacht for the production of flight clothing. For example Loutre AG Sofia and Alaska AG Sofia. My grandfather's brother, sergeant major at German Luftwaffe, wore the Fliegersonderbekleidung in white, he was stationed in Bulgaria.

Mario
Nice post Mario, years ago there used to be a little known Bulgarian militaria site selling them, I bought a white shearling winter war flight helmet also come to think of it, again with the thick chocolate brown wool lining, man back then the stuff was available relatively easy and not too expensive, the Bulgarian flight goggles also, still though the gold mine are N&G splitterschutzbrille , flight goggles,now there's a mouthful haha I think they were made by Nitzsche and Gunther

M. from Berlin

Nice post Mario, years ago there used to be a little known Bulgarian militaria site selling them, I bought a white shearling winter war flight helmet also come to think of it, again with the thick chocolate brown wool lining, man back then the stuff was available relatively easy and not too expensive, the Bulgarian flight goggles also, still though the gold mine are N&G splitterschutzbrille , flight goggles,now there's a mouthful haha I think they were made by Nitzsche and Gunther
jep Nitsche und Gunther............today rare and very expencive. here the rarest model : https://gmic.co.uk/topic/925-nietsche-amp-guenther-splittergoggles/

MauldinFan

Here is one…not sure he is driving or flying with this set… but apparently he is wearing it .. I have a few more but need to dig them out… may take time.View attachment 86393
Wow. Like I said, it was common to see ground pounders using and wearing German stuff.
My question had been about seeing people on an AAF field wearing Luftwaffe stuff under circumstances other than a pose for a photo home.
I'm, NOT saying it never happened, but I've never seen a photo of that nor any vet recollections of it happening. Frankly, I'd love to see such a photo as I genuinely like the idea of it!