• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Genuine USAF N-3B parka questions

eamenos

Hi guys,
I'm looking for a genuine usaf n-3b parka to be warm during the winter season in my country. I've seen that depending on the manufacturing year ones are made of 80% cotton 20% nylon, 100% nylon, etc. I've kept an eye one a NOS 1983 Greenbrier Industries, which is made of 80% cotton and 20% nylon.

I know the best insulated were the ones of the 50s and 60s, also with the real fur. However, would be a nice purchase the Greenbrier one? Or should I go for a more recent contract N-3b like the ones of late 90s or first 00s?

Thanks everybody

Last edited:

bn1966

Hi guys,
I'm looking for a genuine usaf n-3b parka to be warm during the winter season in my country. I've seen that depending on the manufacturing year ones are made of 80% cotton 20% nylon, 100% nylon, etc. I've kept an eye one a NOS 1983 Greenbrier Industries, which is made of 80% cotton and 20% nylon.

I know the best insulated were the ones of the 50s and 60s, also with the real fur. However, would be a nice purchase the Greenbrier one? Or should I go for a more recent contract N-3b like the ones of late 90s or first 00s?

Thanks everybody
I’ve been doing similar and have tried on a couple of Lancer contracts with synthetic insulation and cotton / nylon mix shells, not to mention the synthetic hood trim…mid 70’s & early 80’s. Think I’m probably going to go for a VGC 60’s version with the heavier lining, 100% nylon shell and real fur trim, I might need to source outside the UK..Southern Athletic contracts appear fairly common. Haven’t found a Greenbrier in XL over here but would take a punt if one turns up.

eamenos

I’ve been doing similar and have tried on a couple of Lancer contracts with synthetic insulation and cotton / nylon mix shells, not to mention the synthetic hood trim…mid 70’s & early 80’s. Think I’m probably going to go for a VGC 60’s version with the heavier lining, 100% nylon shell and real fur trim, I might need to source outside the UK..Southern Athletic contracts appear fairly common. Haven’t found a Greenbrier in XL over here but would take a punt if one turns up.
If they were not as expensive as they are, I would go for a 60's version too, but I should have to pay for the jacket, the shipping, and if it comes from USA, the importation price too... if you add all of these things, in my case would be a very big effort of money. That's why I've kept an eye on these 1983 one, which is pretty cheaper than the ones from the 60's or very early 70's

MikeyB-17

I once owned a ’65 Southern Athletic co. N-3B, and found it really heavy and not at all easy to wear. They’re designed for Arctic flying, and aren’t that great for everyday use. If it’s really cold where you are, might work, but there are better jackets for those sort of conditions. OK if it’s one for the collection, but not great for popping down the shops.

bn1966

Maybe too much for the UK by the sounds of it the early ones. Had an N-3A once & moved it on as unbearable over here heat wise even on our colder days. The more modern ones certainly aren’t too warm so it’s plan B the Greenbrier I think.

B-Man2

I have a Southern Athletic N-3B in a size large complete with all the military markings. It’s great for what it was designed for …. Keeping warm in a below Zero temperatures. Most of the current issued N3B jackets are made for cold weather but not to the degree of the older model military issued jackets . So it all depends on where you’re going to be wearing it .

bn1966

I have a Southern Athletic N-3B in a size large complete with all the military markings. It’s great for what it was designed for …. Keeping warm in a below Zero temperatures. Most of the current issued N3B jackets are made for cold weather but not to the degree of the older model military issued jackets . So it all depends on where you’re going to be wearing it .
I love the look of the earlier models but practically might be better off with the later, lighter insulation for UK climes.

bn1966

Very true . An N-2b might be the way to go.
I’ve got enough of those already the heavier earlier models work well in the UK Fall / Winter, could do with something slighter longer but similar which puts the N3-B in the picture.

B-Man2

I’ve got enough of those already the heavier earlier models work well in the UK Fall / Winter, could do with something slighter longer but similar which puts the N3-B in the picture.
Maybe a Bronson B-9 might work for you .
Or did you already mention that you looked at one ?

bn1966

Maybe a Bronson B-9 might work for you .
Or did you already mention that you looked at one ?
Thanks for the idea, no I hadn’t considered a B-9..I’m a 46/48 chest. Ideally a N-3B is what I’d like, might check out the earlier Alpha USA made repros if one turns up over here in XL.

B-Man2

We’re about the same size … occasionally a repro our size pops up on EBay . Good luck with your search .

eamenos

another thing that i didn't ask, I'm 175cm tall and I weight 72-73 kg. Would you recommend me a size Medium or Small? (on a N-3b parka)

bn1966

Five Star is starting its nylon flight jacket / parka collection and have featured an N-3B that I imagine is going into production

Clark J

I have 2 black labeled N-3Bs in XL one excellent and the other close to mint . I live in Minnesota and you need some serious cold to wear these bad boys . I wear the one maybe 2Xs a year .

Ian a

I used to have a very nice Lancer N3B roughly late 60`s early 70`s with real fur which I would recommend, never really wore it as it was too hot even for U.K. conditions !!!

MikeyB-17

I am absolutely delighted with my Bronson B-9. Really light and comfortable, very warm, and a lot more pleasant to wear than the N-3B I used to have. It’s getting colder again in the UK, which is music to my ears, as I get to wear it again.
0C62B67F-4501-4B1B-B06A-E435D8C5437F.jpeg