• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GENUINE RALPH EDWARDS SPORTSWEAR, INC. TYPE G-1 FLYING JACKET MIL-J-7823 B (WEP) (GEMINI RECOVERY FORCE)

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Gents,

I haven't been posting leather jackets lately, and today I would like to share this fascinating Type G-1 related to the Project Gemini.

This jacket belonged to Lt. R.P. Leeds, and although I have not been able to find any info from the original owner, the patches could tell a bit of his story. It seems that he was related to the Gemini Recovery Force. Possibly a pilot from the Helicopter Antisubmarine Squadron Five (HS-5). They were assigned to Carrier Antisubmarine Air Group Fifty-Four aboard the U.S.S. Lake Champlain and participated in Mercury, Gemini recoveries, including America’s first astronaut, CDR Allen B. Shepard.

The U.S. space program was designed for returning space capsules to land in the World's oceans. Given the cross-governmental support of the program, the Department of Defense was required to assist. The U.S. Navy was detailed to carry out the recovery duty. Generally, there was one designated prime recovery vessel per mission, with backup vessels located in strategic areas in case a spacecraft landed outside the prime recovery zone. The primary recovery was carried out by aircraft carriers or helicopter assault ships; these carried helicopters, which allowed Navy divers to be deployed to the landed capsule, attach flotation collars and extract the astronauts soon after splashdown.

Needless to say, NASA relied heavily on the U.S.N. Recovery Force. They were crucial to achieve an effective survival and recovery of the astronauts.

This G-1 is from the "B" series of the 7823 and was made by Ralph Edwards Sportswear in fiscal year, 1962.

The condition is amazing considering it is almost 60 years old. All the parts are original to the jacket. The leather is very supple and the mouton collar has a rusty chocolate tone. The Conmar zipper is working perfectly, and knits are immaculate, which is rare. I have to remark that the decoration of this jacket is superb.

Left chest depicts a name tag, impressed “LT R.P. LEEDS USNR”.

Right chest depicts an extremely rare rubber "PROJECT GEMINI U.S. NAVY RECOVERY FORCE" patch.

Right shoulder depicts an extremely rare "GT-2/GT-5 GEMINI RECOVERY FORCE" patch.

Say no more, hope you guys enjoy it!

Regards,
Jorge
B8147312-2D6B-4F8E-BF32-B3E07D2DE518.jpeg
C9AF2C71-CA18-468C-AE92-6E6402A98AC5.jpeg
55A57ED8-EEFD-47D8-A9FF-2119C045833B.jpeg
E7B0E03D-E1A0-4B1A-B584-6BF3F5AD8991.jpeg
EFC14151-986E-49BA-8167-C0E5FD580125.jpeg
A2F34CCD-6826-43E2-8724-24814A7A6FF4.jpeg
D4B4A415-8557-4E35-92D9-B76E62B4FDBF.jpeg
116C16A9-CCC2-41B3-A06A-1A45A4C55C5A.jpeg

Last edited:

ausreenactor

Your ability to find such unique pieces of history amazes me more than the jackets themselves!

And these are all amazing artefacts!

Lorenzo_l

A n original G-1 linked to the early US space program, no less. A genuine piece of history. Awesome find, Jorge. That jacket belongs in a museum, which is a bit what Jorge has anyway, it's just that it is not open to the public (yet).