• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GENUINE CIVILIAN CONSERVATION CORPS OD WOOL JACKET AKA “TYPE A-1 WOOL VERSION”

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Gents,

Today I would like to share an extremely rare surviving example of the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) OD wool jacket also referenced on some books as the wool version of the Type A-1 Flight Jacket.

This model was developed by the Quartermasters Corps during the 30’s.
The design was actually inspired on the A-1 flight jacket, but in this case unlined olive drab wool replaced the leather shell panels. Windproof knit cuffs followed the same style of the A-1, but the choker collar was replaced by a knit shawl collar closer to the civilian cossack style. Beveled pocket flaps echoed the pocket flaps on the coat. Finally, the waistband was changed to an elasticized band in a muticolored wool knit secured with two buttons to ensure a wind-tight fit.

The condition of this example is amazing considering is over 80 years old. All parts are genuine to the jacket. All buttons are present and firm. Tags shows to be a size 42.

Right shoulder bears a PFC rank chevron.

There is some confusion among collectors due to the resemblance to the A-1 flight jacket, but there is no evidence that this jacket was designed for the Army Air Forces or was ever original issued to pilots. However, the fact is that at least some surplus CCC work jackets were reissued to Army Air Forces ground crews during World War II.

That being said, enjoy the pics!

Regards,
Jorge
E1FF4005-1702-4387-9971-93BDA8A9764B.jpeg
2814E821-D733-4360-847E-A8AAAA281D92.jpeg
A7300DE9-7E5B-47EC-AFFB-A2CACDDFD7DB.jpeg
B5EF33A8-AAED-41D9-AA9F-C8E945A6F48E.jpeg
F9AE54A5-8CBC-408A-A611-C9982D0A8DBE.jpeg
312BDD1F-C9F0-47D8-B5FB-5E4E6F562A5E.jpeg
05AF7475-4F48-4D92-A6B0-790E0557694C.jpeg
F7FDC548-CBD9-40B8-BDCA-A44DAFF17073.jpeg
88FE1383-796D-48D0-9A54-CCC429886C2B.jpeg
03F8F513-F94A-4E2E-9803-91ACA2D9FE1E.jpeg

B-Man2

A few year ago either What Price Glory or At The Front was selling a pretty nice repo of this jacket calling it a WWI flight jacket They sold for a pretty reasonable price, but they discontinued them. Nice find!

ButteMT61

My grandpa worked in the C-C-C. That's a really cool jacket. The very first issue of LIFE magazine has the dam my grandpa worked on - Fort Peck Dam in Montana. He had a jacket similar to that...will look for the pic. I think it was leather, but not 100% sure.

Last edited:

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

A few year ago either What Price Glory or At The Front was selling a pretty nice repo of this jacket calling it a WWI flight jacket They sold for a pretty reasonable price, but they discontinued them. Nice find!
RM does a pretty nice reproduction currently. BR used to have theirs at some point, too.

B-Man2

RM does a pretty nice reproduction currently. BR used to have theirs at some point, too.

Whoa... That’s nice but I think I paid about $95.00 for the one I had.

Tom Bowers

thank you for sharing, I've frequently seen these mis-identified as pre-war flight jackets but you have accurately reported them as a CCC enlisted jacket

They are very hard to find

Great piece

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

thank you for sharing, I've frequently seen these mis-identified as pre-war flight jackets but you have accurately reported them as a CCC enlisted jacket

They are very hard to find

Great piece
My pleasure Tom and definitely not much info about these jackets out there, since there are not many surviving examples. I imagine that is the main reason for the misidentifications.