• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gaposis Diagnosis? G-1 pleats

zoomer

Anyone want to view some photos and try their luck at telling me why the back pleats gap out on my M-422A and G-1?

I've sent these pix to STEVE S., who has major experience with these jackets, and he suggested 3 causes:

1. tight underarms - not a problem, they're quite comfortable.
2. body too long and riding up - not really a problem either, tho both waists are fairly snug. Note however that the panel between pleat and front does fold or sag at the middle.
3. elastic losing snap - to me, this is most likely. Altho the bands do snap back when pulled, they don't pull the pleats in very far when let go. Both jackets were bought lightly used and are 15-20 years old.

Here's the Gibson & Barnes M-422A, tagged 42 but fits like a 46.
IMG_3240.jpg IMG_3253.jpg IMG_3259.jpg ,

Flight Suits (same maker) G-1, leather collar, 46.
IMG_3282.jpg IMG_3294.jpg IMG_3322.jpg

Skyhawk

Yes I saw that. Not sure why they would be loose but it looks like how my originals with the loose ones used to fit.

B-Man2

Zoomer
Initially I thought the jacket looked a little tight on you, but it could also be an elastic problem.

zoomer

They’re meant to be cut somewhat tight. The waist helps the back expand and contract neatly. IIRC you don’t see G-1s blousing at the waist as often as you see A-2s.

STEVE S.

They’re meant to be cut somewhat tight. The waist helps the back expand and contract neatly. IIRC you don’t see G-1s blousing at the waist as often as you see A-2s.

That is due to the assembly methods. The top stitching around the waistband on a Navy jacket for the most part eliminates the blousing effect. A-2’s don’t have the outer top stitching, they have the liner/Shell mated with an internal stitch line.

zoomer

Before 1940 A-2s did have topstitched knits. Some, such as the Security SAT, still were cut blousy.