• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G1 query

newagegeezer

Hi, I'm new to this site but have been collecting and wearing (used to have a willys Jeep from 1970 till last year) flight and military gear since the 70s. I've just retired and sold jeep and am downsizing (sob sob), so about to ebay some of my stuff. in doing so i thought I'd do a bit of research (never got around to it before). I use to buy mainly from Paul Roberts in Hebden Bridge, if any of the older geezers remember him? anyway, 1st query - I have a BU Aero jacket by Monarch mfg. contract NXS 12497, but unfortunately the label is worn by the spec #, and under the contract #.. I have looked up online and only spec I can see which relates to this contract # is M445-A but all photos for that show a G1 looking sheepskin jacket. Mine looks exactly like a normal G1 but USN stamp back of collar is in yellow, not white as others I have had. It also has a dark red satin lining (which looks completely original, not a replacement) unlike most which have been dark brown.
any ideas ?
Cheers
John
IMG_8848.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8849.JPG
    IMG_8849.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 235
  • IMG_8851.JPG
    IMG_8851.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 192

newagegeezer

Thanks so much for such a speedy reply, Mr.Pilot. So seems they used the same contract for the sheep version, which was the only one I could find online. I just used to wear the things, didn't get into the fine details, had always just believed it was a G1 . Would you know the approx dating of that contract ?
I'll be posting a few more queries when I have a moment.
Cheers

Pilot

I am no expert in USN jackets ( nor in USAAF / USAF jackets ), there are real qualified ones here, sure they will chime in...
My guess would be midd/end of WW2...but again there are experts here who surely know it precisely.

MikeyB-17

I ain't no expert either, but that's a wartime M-422a. It isn't a G-1, that didn't appear until after the war, and although similar, it's not the same. The 422a was longer for a start. Yeah that lining is original. Again, others will no doubt be along to give you more specific contract details. Welcome aboard.

newagegeezer

thanks for confirming that, been a real trip down memory lane getting some of the jackets out and trying them on, should have found this site years ago, when I got these jackets back in the early 70s to 80s no internet to look up contract #s etc. great that you guys have found the time to get knowledgeable about it all and share the knowledge
Cheers.

Brettafett

Yes, not a G-1. I may be wrong, but that looks to me to be a Monarch M422. Slightly earlier version of the M422a, which gained the left pocket pencil holder. Very cool jacket.

MikeyB-17

Egad, I think you might be right! I don’t think there’s a pen pocket slot there. If so, that’s an entirely rarer animal than your usual M-422a.

MikeyB-17

What's the sleeve length like? I recall they have a reputation for short sleeves-or was that just G&F?

Brettafett

I had an original WW2 G&F 40 which had sleeves of over 26". I was over the moon with the fit, as Im always hampering about lengths.
I think it was the Monarch that was shorter. May be wrong.

newagegeezer

Egad, I think you might be right! I don’t think there’s a pen pocket slot there. If so, that’s an entirely rarer animal than your usual M-422a.
thanks to all of you for your quick responses. John from Good Wear kindly replied directly to me that he thought it had lost its original label and had a different label added , I assume to add value back in the day when looking up contract #s was very difficult (and I can see other original stitching marks on close examination) and was in fact an H&L Block 422A. Appears only they (?) printed the USA in yellow and had red lining. It does have a pen pocket slot and outside edge of sleeve is 70cms , 27.5 inch.
I do have an unlabelled A2 which I could post pictures if anyone has time to see if they can recognise make ?
thanks again
John

Brettafett

Ha, good old John. I didn't even look at the back pic... Steve Sellers makes a cracking HL Block M422a repro.
Yes, lets see the A-2 next.

MikeyB-17

There you go, just goes to show that you need to speak to a proper expert and not us half-wits! ;)
I gotta stop yipping up on threads like this, I invariably end up revealing that I'm talking out of my arse. Blocks are pretty highly thought of.

newagegeezer

but thanks anyway, more eyes the better , guys. I have now done a bit more research on i/net and seems only the Blocks had a double pleat down centre of inside lining and the armhole grommets are stitched, not metal like other makers - both features mine have.
Ok here's teh unlabelled A2, Crown zip, maybe all pretty generic ?IMG_3243.JPG
IMG_3243.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8864.jpg
    IMG_8864.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_3241.JPG
    IMG_3241.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 190
  • IMG_3244.JPG
    IMG_3244.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 204
  • IMG_3242.JPG
    IMG_3242.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 194
I don't think that's a Bronco, it's a United Sheeplined. Note the shoulder seam under the epaulette rather than behind it. Sheeplined was from the same garment making family as Bronco so they shared common traits like bevelled pocket corners. The pocket flap however is distinctly Sheeplined.

Brettafett

I think you may be right, especially about the pocket flap... I cant see the shoulder seem however... I've never seen a Sheeplined in person, thought it had more pointy collar. Both jackets had Crowns.

I would actually characterise the Bronco collar as 'short, square and with defined tips' while the Sheeplined collar is more a 'Generic A2 Collar' like this jacket.