• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G1? Jacket identification

Fattboa

Hello,
New to leather jackets in general. Bought two since they fit me reasonably well while traveling. One is straight forward (commercial? Avirex - I know) and another is more mysterious due to lack of tag but probably nothing special.

I think its goatskin, Talon zipper, size tag in right pocket. Strange mark in hidden pocket? Strange vertical USN marking on windflap. Pen pocket in left pocket. Doesn't look to be worn much so Im thinking nothing special.

Avirex has a diet pepsi tag so probably a valueless commercial jacket but fits ok.
Many thanks
20220509_000251.jpg
20220509_000351.jpg
20220509_000402.jpg
20220509_000430.jpg
20220509_000525.jpg
20220509_000539.jpg
20220509_000736.jpg
20220509_000910.jpg
20220509_000946.jpg
20220509_001006.jpg

MikeyB-17

That’s a 1960’s, mouton-collared, goatskin G-1, a very good find, prices now well into the hundreds. Zip is non original although looks to have been done well. The Avirex is a fairly early one, before they started turning out their ridiculous fantasy jackets. What the Diet Pepsi logo is doing there I have no idea, they’ve claimed to be a WWII contractor before, but never to be the maker of Diet Pepsi AFAIK. I would consider that a part of the jacket’s history, and leave it there myself. You did very well on both counts.

Lorenzo_l

That’s a 1960’s, mouton-collared, goatskin G-1, a very good find, prices now well into the hundreds. Zip is non original although looks to have been done well. The Avirex is a fairly early one, before they started turning out their ridiculous fantasy jackets. What the Diet Pepsi logo is doing there I have no idea, they’ve claimed to be a WWII contractor before, but never to be the maker of Diet Pepsi AFAIK. I would consider that a part of the jacket’s history, and leave it there myself. You did very well on both counts.
That G-1 looks like an A-series G-1 and the rectangular Talon zip looks original - a blackened No. 10 Talon zipper in fact, as per the jackets of that series. Traces of the blackening on the zipper puller's tab are still discernible. Either a Ralph Edwards or an Irvin B Foster.

Part 3 - The Vietnam War - The 60s and 70s

8. MIL-J-7823A (AER) [1961]
A noticeable difference from the 7823 to the 7823A is the change from a no.5 blackened Conmar main zipper to a no.10 blackened Talon ‘rectangle’ zipper. From the 7823A onwards, all G-1s would continue to use a no.10 zipper for enhanced durability (later specifications would have either a ‘paperclip’ style Scovill or Conmar No.10). Additionally, following from the trend set by late 50s 7823s, all G-1 jackets from the 7823A onwards will bear rounded pocket flaps (a simplification of the previously (but more ornate) scalloped or triangular pocket flaps). As Roger Moore notes, “in 1961, the A… series jacket was introduced and only two manufacturers had contracts: Ralph Edwards Sportswear [previously Cagleco] and Irvin B. Foster.” Moore, as do many collectors, therefore considers the A series to be one of the scarcest of the 7823 series jackets.

SPECIFICATION MIL-J-7823A (AER)Contract datesComments
RALPH EDWARDS SPORTSWEAR, INC. CONTRACT NO. QM(CTM)8833C-611961Manufacturer formerly known as Cagleco Sportswear.
IRVIN B.FOSTER & SONS SPORTSWEAR CO., INC. CONTRACT NO. DA 36-243-QM(CTM)8834-C-611961See notes for MIL-J-7823 (AER) and L.W. Foster Sportswear Co lawsuit

RALPH EDWARDS SPORTSWEAR, INC. CONTRACT NO. QM(CTM)8833C-61, courtesy of @Jorgeenriqueaguilera
View attachment 72824
View attachment 72825
View attachment 72826
View attachment 72827
View attachment 72828
View attachment 72829
View attachment 72830
View attachment 72831
View attachment 72832

Last edited:

Juanito

If the lining color in the non-Avirex jacket is an correct representation (olive), I would guess this is one of the Flying Equipment Company jackets from Chicago. It has been a long time since I have seen one but the lining color, tag shape, and hardware remind me of one of those.

Fattboa

Very nice wearable jackets .
If it were mine I’d make that Diet Pepsi tag disappear.
Placement is quite weird but then I guess it was the 70s/80s shrug
That G-1 looks like an A-series G-1 and the rectangular Talon zip looks original - a blackened No. 10 Talon zipper in fact, as per the jackets of that series. Traces of the blackening on the zipper puller's tab are still discernible. Either a Ralph Edwards or an Irvin B Foster.
I read the thread detailing G1 jackets and now I believe it to be a Ralph Edwards. Thank you for your reply.

Thank you. I'll probably leave the quirky Pepsi tag alone as the jacket has no real historical value
Thank you for your reply
What the heck? I don't remember that connection at all!

Great looking G-1 (the first jacket), O.P.
Thank you
If the lining color in the non-Avirex jacket is an correct representation (olive), I would guess this is one of the Flying Equipment Company jackets from Chicago. It has been a long time since I have seen one but the lining color, tag shape, and hardware remind me of one of those.
Yes it is an olive colored lining, feels like a soft synthetic either nylon/viscose/rayon