• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G1 genuine or reproduction?

Jselder1

Hi all,

Picked this up for a song in Fukuoka Japan along with some K-2B flight suits.

Company on label made A2 jackets but can't find details on them making G1?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 15904211821821058479464.jpg
    15904211821821058479464.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 254
  • 1590421213250435378823.jpg
    1590421213250435378823.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 297

SuinBruin

Better than your garden variety repro, though... Flight Suits, now known as Gibson & Barnes, has always had a reputation for making high-quality jackets. Real goatskin and mouton collar... very nice. G&B jackets have in my experience had a very generous fit for the labeled size, but if it fits you well it's a great jacket.

fighterjock

It must have been a long song, perhaps lynyrd skynyrd "Free Bird"...………….I think it's like 13 minutes long.

Grant

Flight Suits Ltd did provide flight kit to the US military in the 80's and 90's, including cloth jackets, flight suits, helmets, etc, before they became known at Gibson and Barnes. I'm not that informed on recent USN G-1 contracts, but given they were located near San Diego and a major USN base, I'll bet some USN aviators wore them.

SuinBruin

Flight Suits Ltd did provide flight kit to the US military in the 80's and 90's, including cloth jackets, flight suits, helmets, etc, before they became known at Gibson and Barnes. I'm not that informed on recent USN G-1 contracts, but given they were located near San Diego and a major USN base, I'll bet some USN aviators wore them.
I think the ad copy for their G-1 also used to say they had supplied jackets to the Blue Angels....

Grant

Yeah, I remember reading somewhere they supplied cloth flight jackets and flight suits to the Blue Angels.

Wholenineyards

Navy squadrons have some funds. In 2007 or 2008 HS-10 outfitted their whole wardroom with G&B G-1, because the issued ones sucked. Not even goatskin. The following is a Flight Suits G-1 I've had since the mid 90s. Some years ago I had them replace the collar and the knits and the waist with a single rib which they did at no cost. I consider this a fine jacket, very enjoyable.
20200526_090747.jpg

Ed Rooney

I know a guy who bought FSL horsehide A-2’s with unit funds for a SOCOM aviation unit. They were in the system. FSL/GB is semi official to official for a number of services and agencies.