• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G1 back paint removal?

88thcompany

Nice jacket by the way! I understand that you want it to be more distressed. It would have been easier to make it look weathered and chipped if the design had been painted by hand on top of the blank jacket. I think, like previous replies, that using acetone could damage the dye of the jacket and leave it with a weird colorless spot in the middle. However, if you want the distressed look, there are other ways. In my work, I do a lot of distressing and it takes practice to get the result you want. Years ago, I found this video on YouTube, it helped me a lot. I hope that helps! :)

Sonia

Thomas Koehle

Nice jacket by the way! I understand that you want it to be more distressed. It would have been easier to make it look weathered and chipped if the design had been painted by hand on top of the blank jacket. I think, like previous replies, that using acetone could damage the dye of the jacket and leave it with a weird colorless spot in the middle. However, if you want the distressed look, there are other ways. In my work, I do a lot of distressing and it takes practice to get the result you want. Years ago, I found this video on YouTube, it helped me a lot. I hope that helps! :)

Sonia

Hi Sonia,

thx for the link. I’ve watched the video before … - it shows how to destroy a jacket down to a status where it’s good for the trashbin but nothing else.

Those guys are reenactors kind-off portraying a possible apocalyptic future where everything goes “down south” and resupplies obviously don’t exist. Maybe the final-result of this “shredding treatment” might be proper for such use but I doubt an issued flight jacket would’ve ever be used to a similar status in any army/airforce before being replaced.

Well maybe I’m wrong …

If you watch and observe the wear on any piece of garment you will find worn-off spots on very specific places like the elbows- aside of the zipper - sleeves ‘n stuff.

The pretty radical treatment our apocalyptic friend displays would be just too rough ‘n random for me to get to a convincing result …

No offence - just my personal opinion …

Welcome to the forum btw

88thcompany

Hi Sonia,

thx for the link. I’ve watched the video before … - it shows how to destroy a jacket down to a status where it’s good for the trashbin but nothing else.

Those guys are reenactors kind-off portraying a possible apocalyptic future where everything goes “down south” and resupplies obviously don’t exist. Maybe the final-result of this “shredding treatment” might be proper for such use but I doubt an issued flight jacket would’ve ever be used to a similar status in any army/airforce before being replaced.

Well maybe I’m wrong …

If you watch and observe the wear on any piece of garment you will find worn-off spots on very specific places like the elbows- aside of the zipper - sleeves ‘n stuff.

The pretty radical treatment our apocalyptic friend displays would be just too rough ‘n random for me to get to a convincing result …

No offence - just my personal opinion …

Welcome to the forum btw
Hey Thomas,

I'm not offended at all. Sorry, I didn't express myself correctly. Of course, he's totally destroying the jacket on his video! I know how re-enactors work and do their thing. But I meant to say if you can learn the MUCH softer way to do it, it could help. In my work, I try to follow how leather is aged on the original WW2 or biker jackets. It's extremely hard to mimic what time does to garments. However, with a bit of practice on super cheap pieces, you can learn how to get to an original look. My most logical advice: simply wear the jacket as much as you can. Ride with it and do your thing, and in time it will show signs of wear.
Now for the paint, I think the result you want to get will be hard, because it looks like the design was printed on the leather. If it was hand-painted on top of the dyed jacket, it could be done. But even so, it's sensitive. I hope that helps :)

Thanks for the welcome :) This forum is awesome!

Sonia :)

Thomas Koehle

Hey Thomas,

I'm not offended at all. Sorry, I didn't express myself correctly. Of course, he's totally destroying the jacket on his video! I know how re-enactors work and do their thing. But I meant to say if you can learn the MUCH softer way to do it, it could help. In my work, I try to follow how leather is aged on the original WW2 or biker jackets. It's extremely hard to mimic what time does to garments. However, with a bit of practice on super cheap pieces, you can learn how to get to an original look. My most logical advice: simply wear the jacket as much as you can. Ride with it and do your thing, and in time it will show signs of wear.
Now for the paint, I think the result you want to get will be hard, because it looks like the design was printed on the leather. If it was hand-painted on top of the dyed jacket, it could be done. But even so, it's sensitive. I hope that helps :)

Thanks for the welcome :) This forum is awesome!

Sonia :)

Awesome!

I’d be absolutely interested to see some of your work - if you don’t mind please feel free to share some photos …