• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G1 back paint removal?

Shropshire-lad

Hi all!
I have spotted a G1 on Fleabay that is ideal for me but.... has THIS on the back. If you’re into ‘V8’s’ it’s probably wonderful but I’m not. Well - I am but not THIS much.
Could it be removed without damage and showing?? I would welcome any advice !!
Many thanks
Jim

12D64A0E-3ECC-4A99-9314-2177AA9A56E5.jpeg

Micawber

Depends on the type of paint and if the solvent required to shift it will have an effect on the leather finish. Paint can get into the grain and pores and be a pain to shift. If the image has been on there a long time the leather around the image may have faded a little whereas the area covered by the paint won't resulting in a shadow if the paint is removed.

So in brief:
It may be removable but you won't know until the jacket is examined in hand.
You need to know what you are doing and have a grasp on the potential interaction between solvents, manipulation, dye and paint.

Bombing IP

Put a blood chit over it . I would not try to remove it you will have a less glossy cloud left that will annoy you more . Jackets from Shawn are not that expensive re the G1 ,get one of those .

Last edited:

B-Man2

This is an area where I think you can really screw a jacket up if you don’t know what you’re doing, and have never done this stuff before. If it were me, I would hand it off to a professional, who does this sort of thing for a living and let them take care of it. I’d rather pay a few bucks than loose the whole jacket.

Micawber

This is an area where I think you can really screw a jacket up if you don’t know what you’re doing, and have never done this stuff before. If it were me, I would hand it off to a professional, who does this sort of thing for a living and let them take care of it. I’d rather pay a few bucks than loose the whole jacket.

Exactly. One mistake and it's easy to end up with shrivelled and ruined panel or a jacket that requires a partial or total re-dye. Unless you have access to a range of solvents - and the experience to know how to use them - then a cheap painted jacket could rapidly turn into an expensive jacket to fix.

MaydayWei

Tbh unless it’s a rare G-1 (I.e. one of the earlier contracts), I wouldn’t bother with it. There are tons of G-1s on eBay, in all manner of sizes and some for not a lot of money, where you won’t have the faff of trying to remove this paint.

Completely agree, why even take the risk at all?
Find a risk free one; a little patience will save you a lot of grief and unnecessary anxiety in the long run.

Shropshire-lad

To be honest I have an m422a on order from aero - but saw this and thought it may do for knocking about in..... if I could get it cheap enough. It appears his idea of “open to offers”does not match up with mine. Think I’ll save my money and look an L2b again!

Thomas Koehle

Impossible to remove any painting without leaving any traces. That would ruin the jacket.

Better is - like almost everyone already recommended - to cover the painting with something (bloodchit, new painting, ...)

Silver Surfer

if its acrylic paint, all ya have to do is get the back soaking wet, and crinkle it up, and paint will start to peel right off....assuming it hasn't had a sealer coat. if the paint is enamel, you're screwed, as any attempt to remove it will leave a mess. even if you redyed the back, after removing enamel paint it would look spotty. if you are a size 40, grab the one offered in the sales section, and keep this one as a beater just the way it is.

Last edited:

Shropshire-lad

if its acrylic paint, all ya have to do is get the back soaking wet, and crinkle it up, and paint will start to peel right off....assuming it hasn't had a sealer coat. if the paint is enamel, you're screwed, as any attempt to remove it will leave a mess. even if you redyed the back, after removing enamel paint it would look spotty. if you are a size 40, grab the one offered in the sales section, and keep this one as a beater just the way it is.
I’m a 44”....:rolleyes:
Anyone have an opinion about Bronson Manufacturing.... Soldier of Fortune sell one of their L2-b at £99. Looks ok in the photo’s.