• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G&B Knits - are they okay?

Who

Sorry if this is a dumb question covered many times.... I'm thinking of getting one of their cheap ones ( I got an Expedition recently and it is seriously well made - I love it!) how do the knits hold up on their bottom dollar "air force A2" jacket? I just want one as a daily jacket. I think the design is pretty good regardless. ;)

A

Anonymous

Who said:
Sorry if this is a dumb question covered many times.... I'm thinking of getting one of their cheap ones ( I got an Expedition recently and it is seriously well made - I love it!) how do the knits hold up on their bottom dollar "air force A2" jacket? I just want one as a daily jacket. I think the design is pretty good regardless. ;)

Thats the only problem-those knits pill up after a few months. They are still better than ELC knits but try and get them to install the wool knits if you can.

Chandler

My wool knits are holding up well on the older goat A-2 and a '50s G-1 I had Flight Suits repair with their M-422A knits (which are quite nice, actually).

Chandler

The "textured nylon" knits on their standard/Civil jackets are indestructible... but they quickly pill and fray and take on a rather raggy appearance. They don't develop holes, and cutting the loose threads is difficult - the nylon is very tough. (I got my Civil A-2 in 2001, and the knits aren't actually worn down at all, but they LOOK very worn.)

So, it's not a matter of quality: I think they will last a long time. However, I think the fuzzy look is awfully ugly - a misguided effort to make the jackets look vintage, or something.

Their wool knits from the Historical line look and feel a lot nicer...

rikitiki

G&B wool knits stay new looking for a long time, but their nylon knits start to pill and fuzz immediately as others have noted. I occasionally take scissors to carefully cut away the pills and defuzz with an old electric razor.

I was defuzzing my A-2 knits at work with my spare razor, and someone asked, "What the heck are you doing?" I replied, "What does it look like I'm doing? Haven't you ever seen anybody shave their jackets before?"

A

Anonymous

That works great on G/B polly/knit cuffs. I had the 100% russet wool put on my G/B modern A-2, the dark jacket with russet knits look great.

Dont try shaving your ELC knits, they will fall apart at light speed!

A

Anonymous

I got the G&B historical knits to replace the old ones of my 1980s crappy cheap A-2 jacket.
I got the ELC at the same time. The G&B look much stronger, but they are a little short I guess. Also, they have a funny color like if they used to be white and someone dyed them afterwards. If you turn the inside out you will notice two-tone (while and light brown) threads!!!!

I can't say the ELC are poorly made. They are made like this intentionally, perhaps to immitate originals. (I haven't handled an original yet, so I wouldn't know).

From all the choices out there, the RMNZ has to be cool but very expensive. The Mash are sold out, so we're prety much left with G&B for the time being.

fishmeok

G&B knits are excellent, but you have to make CERTAIN you get the all wool "Historical A-2" knits. They have several different varieties and I have gotten wool knits from them that are not the same as the ones used on the Historical A-2. Chapman also told me the other day that they are getting a new supplier for the M-422A knits, much better than the old ones.
Cheers
Mark