• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G-1 stormflap

tjoenn

Hi, I've had this G-1 star for over a year now. I wonder if anyone could decipher what's on the stormflap...

G-1 stormflap.jpg

tjoenn

32 and CG 311 Could it be someone in the USCG personalized it?
Thanks, that makes sense! I had to google it, and found 311' Casco class Cutter. I didn't even think that the G-1 was issued to USCG. However the two first numbers look more like 35 from the other side and they were done more professionally than the CG 311 (which has "hanging chads" on the reverse). I do also see very faint holes from a name tag.
Btw, the spec is MIL-J-7823E (AS) which could be as early as 1971 (from Wikipedia), but how late could it be?

MikeyB-17

I think the Coast Guard have been issued them-sure I’ve seen pics of G-1’s with USCG on the flap. I also saw some Coastguard G-1’s with handwarmer pockets behind the patch pockets-they may have been privately procured for a particular unit.

Phrog Driver

Hi, I've had this G-1 star for over a year now. I wonder if anyone could decipher what's on the stormflap...

View attachment 46259
Pretty sure the Coasties were issued G-1s along side the rest of us (Navy, USMC) students at the beginning of flight school, at least in the 70's. As for the stormflap, many folks either stenciled on the back of it or poked their initials or "laundry numbers" (first initial of your last name plus last four of your social security number) as a precaution against theft.