• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G-1 Rayon Satin Liner Replacement

Maverickson

What G-1 manufacturer is using the most accurate to the original burgundy rayon satin lining? My L.W. Foster 7823 (AER) jacket G-1 has an orginal burgundy satin rayon ining that is currently on the road to restoration. The problem is that it has a small hole on the back side of the lining. It looks as though it happened as a result of the lining's wear against the bi-swing elastics. Both the mouton color and knits are to be replaced. This would be the best time to have that worn portion or the entire lining replaced.

Here is a fine 1950's vintage 7823 (AER) G-1 L.W. Foster with the same color rayon satin burgundy lining I am looking to achieve.

BurgundySatinRayonLiningLWFoster.jpg

I have seen Lost World's burgundy lining example and it looks like a close match.

BurgundySatinRayonLining.jpg

As seen, a shade of color differentiates between the two lining examples. There seems to be many good reproduction G-1 jacket manufactures out there. Many of these manufactures are very high end. I am not sure which G-1 manufacturers lining to use. I am sure that there is someone out there with more experience than me out there on this subject. Interested in avoiding trial & error methods of discovery. Aero's lining lining seems to be a more red than burgundy color. At this point, I would be more than willing to listen.

hacker

T-Bolt said:
What about the material that Gibson and Barnes uses on their M422A.......is that too red???

Ted

Their liner is quite crimson in color. The rayon and color used by Foster is not easily found but I suspect with some work you could find a close match. Best to go to a fabric store, like JoAnn's, jacket in hand and see what's available. You can use silk as well as it is a close match. You might just have to order the minimum amount from one of these stores but you should be able to find something that works. You could also try buying a trashed jacket but rayon can become quite fragile from poor storage.

Hacker