• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G-1 Patching help

Greg Gale

my latest thoughts:
did you also compare the size you use as example with the size of your actual jacket?
Off course the size of the flag appears different depending on the size of the jacket ...
i`d stiull go with the larger flag also but that`s just my thoughts - I'm really looking forward to the finished G1 and to see some fitpics at the end

The original jacket in the picture is a 44 so that changes the ratios. That's why I photoshopped the patch over my patches, which proved that the larger one is too wide. Also, I compared the size of the 2 patches on the original jacket and that also matches the size of my smaller one. Now I'm just waiting for the nametag, then I'll take the jacket to the seamstress.

Greg Gale

A quick update: I have all the patches and the knits, I'm dropping the jacket off at the seamstress tomorrow.

I waited quite long for the G&B patches that turned out to be quite inaccurate - albeit very nicely made. Then I ordered the correct ones from Ebay, which never arrived, so the seller re-sent another pair, this time with tracking provided. I just got them, and yesterday I finalized their position on the jacket, so I can give precise instructions to the seamstress. I really can't wait, hopefully next week I'll have it :)

The more I try on the AVI G-1 the more I dislike the stock knits. Not because they're not authentic, but because they're not a continuous tube. They have a seam running along the inner part. This seam makes it all very thick and unnatural when the knit is folding/ tunneling. Oh well, I'm going to replace them soon anyway. Oh, and I didn't go for the single - ply rib rack knits. I know that would have been more authentic, but I prefer the 2-ply ones like on A-2s.

About goatskin: do they ever get those permanent creases / wrinkles in the sleeves?

Brettafett

The 'updated' G-1s with the new 'apparently' more authentic knit, zipper and label are apparently there. I have been emailing AVI about the G-1, Perry and ETAs :D I must be such a pest.
In fact Ive been emailing Platon and BK also... Anyway. New G-1 on the way, I want to compare with the one I have (which I have not had a chance to wear, because its been too warm! That and been wearing my A-2s). Apparently the new veg-tanned goat is in also, and they are very happy with it. So lets see.

Greg Gale

I dropped the jacket off at the seamstress. The lady told me a story about "a black guy who wasn't Hungarian, who came here a while ago bringing a real American flying jacket. It was thick and very heavy, made of sheepskin. We had to sew a patch on its back. He told me his grandfather was the first black pilot flying in the war" - which I translated as he was a descendant of a Tuskegee pilot brought a B-3 to her once :) Would have been quite interesting to talk to the guy. Anyhow, I'm picking it up a week from now.

Greg Gale

I'm happy to inform you all that this project is now completed :)

The knits were updated with those I bought from Larry. The difference is night and day. They are so much softer, but still sturdy. Because they are more pliable, there is no resistance to push the sleeves back up like with the thick stock knits, so the sleeves tunnel quite a bit. Not that I care, the size 40 was too restrictive in the torso ;) I'm really happy with the result, I now have a good looking G-1 patched as Owen's jacket, and I didn't spend more on it than I could afford :)

IMG_1001.JPG
IMG_1018.JPG
IMG_1025.JPG

Brettafett

Greg, when you get a chance, can you get some measurements of your G-1 please. I want to compare with the one I took down back when I had both a 40 and 42.
My 40 does feel a touch trim in the body and am thinking of trying a 42 again.