• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G-1 nametags

Julius

Bought this one from ebay.

s-l1600.jpg

and although I am happy with the quality and the design (gold letters and all) the problem is that the leather they cut it from is like 2mm thick (could be more) and as a result if sewn onto the jacket will not drape at all.

i.e. it will not drape like this

0bb35d2284fdfe3b556d754d0c8c3471.jpg

so in other words it will be a failure.

Time for the big question.

Anyone knows where to get the correct thickness nametag for G-1 ?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Bombing IP

The WW2 patches tend to be thinner ,the current patches are more like plates that are velcroe'd to the jacket . You need to find some one with a skiving tool and thin down the tag to where it is flexable .

BIP

B-Man2

I would think that with the application of certain leather treatments you could get the leather to soften up and become more flexible .

robrinay

You could try ‘sanding it down’ to thin it by rubbing the suede side against a piece of glass paper/coarse emery paper laid on a flat surface and trimming off any loose fibres that appear at the edges. with a sharp blade.

Julius

Thanks, but the question wasn't how to make it thinner. It was where to buy the correct one.
The tag costs like $8, it does not make sense to work 2-3 hours to sand it down to save $8 (let alone it cannot be done).

Denny thanks but your picture doesn't appear.

Dinomartino, thanks I will check it out.

dinomartino1

There are plenty of cheap ones but they are normally thick
Sadly the thinner ones are way more expensive.
If you are okay with paying the extra the choice is between
Whoever is the thinnest and cheapest.
eastman
aero leathers
mash
gibson and barmes. [probably the cheapest of these]

denny@aero

Thanks, but the question wasn't how to make it thinner. It was where to buy the correct one.
The tag costs like $8, it does not make sense to work 2-3 hours to sand it down to save $8 (let alone it cannot be done).

Denny thanks but your picture doesn't appear.

Dinomartino, thanks I will check it out.

Sorry had trouble attaching pic when posting from my phone.

We can make name tags on ony of our leather so have various thickness available. For USN tags our Black Chromexcel works very well and looks good, thickness averages 1.4mm but we can find thneer if requested.
upload_2019-4-23_10-25-38.jpeg

robrinay

;)If you use a coarse grit glass paper or emery cloth it will sand down in a matter of minutes -who suggested it’d take 2-3 hours? If you sanded for 2-3 hours you’d be down to your second knuckles!
Using a hand held skiving tool properly takes practice and skill and around $10.00 for the tool which you’d use once. Glass paper is cheap and you’d use any left over for other jobs eg preparing chipped paintwork for painting etc.
Buying a new name tag is however is the easiest option.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts