• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G-1 knit replacement; advice please.

MaydayWei

Hello everyone,

So, I had the knits on my ‘68 Brill replaced recently... and what a nightmare!
I bought the “correct” 7823D knits off of EBay and just look at how much thicker it is compared to the original knitting!
I’m considering ordering new “7823D” knits off MASH Japan, but the pictures don’t show how thick they are.
I’m worried that I’ll order them and they’d be the same as the ones I got off EBay.
I know I may be knit-picking (;)) a tiny detail but this is driving me absolutely insane; any advice is appreciated!

Replacement knits (Brill)
4229E837-39A0-4FEC-B467-D62BD9E57DF3.jpeg

Original (Star Sportswear)
08EC030F-8EA1-4866-9DEA-D1CCD1633D69.jpeg

MaydayWei

I think you guys are correct.
The replacements are thicker and I was told that they are higher quality than the original knitting by the leather seamstress. Apparently, they will last longer and be more resistant to wear.
Unfortunately for me, I've become rather obsessed with 'accuracy' and being 'true to original specs' lately; and it's just been bothering me LOL
What a first-world issue to have. I should really stop my belly-aching; a lot of people have far bigger problems than this.

flyincowboy

Wore my first G 1jacket bought @ FLEA MARKET years ago with knits &waistband full of moth holes.... At this time could not source replacement ones and such jacket was a piece of history.. Sold the jacket with still moth holes in the waisband and knits period correct and accurate.... Buyer was happy with the deal .

MaydayWei

Thank you all for your input, I really appreciate ya'll taking the time.
Now I just feel really rather silly about all this.
@Micawber I really do need to get out and get some fresh air!
COVID lockdown in Canada is truly driving me a little mad!