• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G-1 jacket zipper pull swap

bhjacket20

I have searched and have not seen this subject/repair on the forum, so I thought I would share the zipper pull replacement I just completed. I have an 80's G-1 Jacket by Ralph Edwards, it is an everyday beater jacket. It was an USN issued jacket with plenty of removed patch and name tag scars and only a US flag patch remaining on the left shoulder. This jacket came with the brass paper clip type zipper pull but It needed a new zipper as you can see in the pics, the zipper pin was torn and nonfunctional.

I didn't want to spend a fortune on a not so valuable jacket so I had a #10 brass YKK zipper installed, I'm sure an original zipper would of been hard to find and more expensive. The YKK works great but it looked wrong with the big door knocker pull on it, I wanted the original look of the USN paper clip and leather pull so I did a swap. I cut off the old latch and just fed the shined up original paper clip pull through the sllders pull hole, it worked perfect, took 10 minutes and I think it looks a lot better than the door knocker YKK pull. it doesn't say "SCOVILL" on it but the casual observer won't ever notice the difference. Once the new brass gets some patina tarnish it will look perfect.

Just thought I would share, love the forum and all the history, be safe.

Attachments

• 36987AA1-5BBB-4B38-81B6-6CDFC9B1F3CB.jpeg
    36987AA1-5BBB-4B38-81B6-6CDFC9B1F3CB.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 279
  • 5BCC03A9-C69D-4AB6-A57B-4EC3CCB23573.jpeg
    5BCC03A9-C69D-4AB6-A57B-4EC3CCB23573.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 227
  • FB7AEC55-AE19-48EF-8ECE-07A9E34ED332.jpeg
    FB7AEC55-AE19-48EF-8ECE-07A9E34ED332.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 372
Last edited:

bhjacket20

Here is a picture of the finished zipper pull swap results, it looks close enough for me. Not a valuable jacket but it is a great size 48 everyday wearer.

It took me a while to find a clean size 48, even with the patch scars.

Attachments

• g1 jacket ralph edwards 84.jpg
    g1 jacket ralph edwards 84.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 233

B-Man2

Here is a picture of the finished zipper pull swap results, it looks close enough for me. Not a valuable jacket but it is a great size 48 everyday wearer.

It took me a while to find a clean size 48, even with the patch scars.
I think you found yourself a nice original. They can be found but it takes a bit of patience . I’m not sure why some choose to spend 2 and 3 times the cost for a repro of an original jacket . But it’s their money .

Centaurus3200

I want to do this as well. I have a 1964 Ralph Edwards G-1 with a 1970s YKK #10 replacement zipper. I can't find a paperclip puller anywhere though.

bhjacket20

I had my original pull still intact. You might want to watch Epay where they show up occasionally. I was thinking about making one, they are just brass wire, if you can get a pattern.

Good luck, the swap is very easy

Last edited:

Centaurus3200

I just bought this one for $6 plus shipping maybe I just pissed money away, but I literally just spent HOURS over thinking it. Haha!

I know it's not the right shaped wire. I was thinking of swapping the whole puller itself. But I'll decide when I see it in person.

bhjacket20

You'll find a wire pull eventially. Just beware about changing the slider with the pull, all brands of #10 brass zippers are not the same. Differences in tooth shape, spacing, etc can cause trouble that is why i just changed the pull and not the slider too. good luck

Last edited:

Centaurus3200

Yeah, I think that's the plan. I bought the talon pull because I haven't seen anything even as close as that one in a while. For $10 shipped, i splurged. Lol!

You'll find a wire pull eventially. Just beware about changing the slider with the pull, all #20 brass zippers are not the same. Tooth shape, spacing, etc can cause trouble that is why i just changed the pull and not the slider too. good luck