• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G-1 Information

Marv

I have one of the PHARR G1s and they are pretty well made but the materials are a bit poor to be honest (typical Gov contract supplier I guess).

The jacket is a size 48" but the body has measurements to fit a 46" chest, unfortunately the sleeve length does correspond with size 48" measurements so for me, fits good in the body but too long on the arms = major tunneling.

It's made of cow and is pretty much indestructible and does not show any signs of breaking in so for what the jacket is made for, it does its job.

silvio76

The makers of the Navy's jackets of the above specifications, in rough chronological order from the current supplier to pre-WWII include

1. PHARR BRAND NAME APPAREL (2004-current supplier),

2. EXCELLED SHEEPSKIN & LEATHER COAT CO., 1999–2004,

3. SCHOTT BROS., INC., 1998,

4. COOPER SPORTSWEAR MFG. CO., INC, 1989–1996,

5. BRILL BROS., INC., 1968–1987,

6. ORCHARD M/C DIST. INC., 1986,

7. FERGUSON OF OKLAHOMA, 1976,

8. IMPERIAL LEATHER & SPORTSWEAR INC., 1976,

9. IMPERIAL FASHIONS, INC., 1974,

10. THE MARTIN LANE CO., INC., 1968–1969,

11. GREGORY SPORTSWEAR INC., 1967,

12. IRVIN B. FOSTER SPTSWEAR CO., 1962–1963,

13. STAR SPORTSWEAR MFG. CORP., 1964–1967,

14. IRVIN B.FOSTER&SONS SPORTSWEAR CO., INC., 1961,

15. RALPH EDWARDS SPORTSWEAR, 1961–1964,

16. BREIER OF AMSTERDAM, INC., 1960,

17. CALIFORNIA SPORTSWEAR COMPANY, 1960,

18. CAGLECO SPORTSWEAR, 1957,

19. J.A.DUBOW SPORTING GOODS CORP.,

20. WERBER SPORTSWEAR, INC.,

21. A. PRITZKER & SONS, INC.,

22. AVIATORS CLOTHING CO., INC.,

23. B.-G. INC.,

24. STAR SPORTSWEAR MFG.CO. LYNN, MASS.,

25. BURJAC SPORTSWEAR INC.,

26. L.W.FOSTER SPORTSWEAR CO.INC.,

27. ARNOFF MFG. COMPANY,

28. AMERICAN SPORTSWEAR CO.,

29. BOGEN & TENENBAUM,

30. EDMUND T.CHURCH CO. INC.,

31. FRIED, OSTERMAN CO.,

32. GORDON & FERGUSON CO.,

33. H.&L. BLOCK,

34. WILLIS AND GEIGER INC.,

35. Monarch Mfg. Company.

36. Menthor Jackets Peru.
Todays suplier is Excelled, last contract is from 2015.

silvio76

Hey, all! New to the forums, and my longtime interest the G-1 is what led me here. Is Pharr still the current supplier? I figured you'd see more of them selling online if they've been in the game since '04. Rumor has it that Cockpit supplies them now as well? I apologize in advance for all of the noob questions...
Todays supplier is Excelled and the last contract is from 2015.

dr.raul

I resurrected this thread as I need an opinion from the experts, I found a G-1 with this label, and I would like to know if it's genuine vintage worth buying or a later repro, here are a few pic:

69Ym7PA.jpg

xSXs8Rr.jpg

mxeOqy4.jpg

NSYGcct.jpg

B-Man2

Hi
Welcome to the forum.
Others will be along shortly to give you some additional information on this jacket, but here’s what I can tell you.
The Marine Shop is located inside the USMC Base at Quantico Virginia. It sells official uniform ware for USMC and Naval personal. Your jacket was originally made to replicate an officially issued USN G-1 jacket but sold commercially which is one of the reasons the manufacturer or contractors name is not in the top black label. These G-1 jackets are non military issued jackets and as such bring a bit less that issued ones. You can find them on the internet and the prices are pretty much standard on them at $150-250.00 US in excellent condition.
Cheers

Texas

Hi all
I have JACKET FLYERS INTERMEDIATE TYPE G-1. Imperial Leather and Sportswear Inc. DSA 100-76-C-1788 with red lining. I read that red colour lining is for ace. Is it true? Or maybe it is copy.

archbury918

Hi all
I have JACKET FLYERS INTERMEDIATE TYPE G-1. Imperial Leather and Sportswear Inc. DSA 100-76-C-1788 with red lining. I read that red colour lining is for ace. Is it true? Or maybe it is copy.
The red lining is a WWII tradition. The date on your jacket is post Vietnam made. There hasn't been an ace since Korea. If its red, someone just replaced a likely worn out original.

Stony

The red lining is a WWII tradition. The date on your jacket is post Vietnam made. There hasn't been an ace since Korea. If its red, someone just replaced a likely worn out original.

There were actually two aces in Vietnam. Randle Cunningham (Navy) and Steve Ritchie (Air Force).

Stony

Both had 5 each. I've met Steve Ritchie a few times. He was actually the last American ace in 1972. Hard to believe that we haven't produced an ace in 48 years.

adfrost

There were actually two aces in Vietnam. Randle Cunningham (Navy) and Steve Ritchie (Air Force).

From the sounds of it, Robin Olds probably could have/would have made that list, had he been allowed to stick around...

Texas

Thanks for info.
Im sending photo. I've heard also that Imperial used red lining. Jacket looks like hardly used. Almost NOS. It dosent look like lining was replaced.

Attachments

• IMG_20200120_152014.jpg
    IMG_20200120_152014.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 267
  • IMG_20200120_152122.jpg
    IMG_20200120_152122.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 265
  • IMG_20200120_151655.jpg
    IMG_20200120_151655.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 277