• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G-1 collar stiff

Flightengineer

Hi guys.
Two days ago I fell under very heavy rain in my Brill G-1, now the jacket dried and remained just as soft.
However, the collar (behind the mouton) became quite stiff. I have been treating it with Pecard Antique Leather Dressing, but it didn't become much softer. Pecard is no longer absorbed after 24 hours and remains on the surface as you can see on pic.

Any thoughts?
Little time has passed or may be up inner side of mouton hide dried outnow it will remain so?
Any help will be appricated.

B-Man2

Hi guys.
Two days ago I fell under very heavy rain in my Brill G-1, now the jacket dried and remained just as soft.
However, the collar (behind the mouton) became quite stiff. I have been treating it with Pecard Antique Leather Dressing, but it didn't become much softer. Pecard is no longer absorbed after 24 hours and remains on the surface as you can see on pic.

Any thoughts?
Little time has passed or may be up inner side of mouton hide dried outnow it will remain so?
Any help will be appricated.
Dmitry
I would send a PM to Dave Sheeley or Steve Sellers and ask them for their advise with this problem. Both are good guys and very knowledgeable.

Garylafortuna

You may want to consider using a heat gun or a hair drier ( at a discreet distance ). The heat will allow the pores to open and the Pecard's will be absorbed into the leather very quickly. I've done this many times with great success.

Last edited:

Silver Surfer

just a guess. the inner mouton hide and goat was still damp, thus the goop did not penetrate. let the jacket sit for a couple days in and out of the sun, and see what happens. meanwhile wipe the goop off,, as it is preventing the hides to thoroughly dry. oh,, if it remains stiff.........

Flightengineer

Thanks to all.
As advised Burt, I contacted Steve Sellers and he suggested that the issue isn’t the mouton or the leather. As he said on those collars there is a layer of canvas duck cloth glued on to the leather facing to give the collar structure. This is done before all the stitch lines, buttons & closure tab are sewn on. And he suggested that exactly this canvas has bit stiffened. Steve adviced me to constantly work it to loosens up.
And it worked!
In combination Peсard + light massage almost fixeded problem.

Last edited: