• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G-1 - Before & After pictures of a cooper military-issued G-1 that I had restored/modified

rob20uk

Hi All,

I thought I would do a quick post to show some before and after pictures of a cooper military-issued G-1 that I had restored/modified.

From what I can tell this was picked up in San Diego and is an original G1 which has been issued to a US Navy flyer, the label bears the name Estes and service number 4339 and it has stitching where two breast insignia have been removed. This is a D-series G1 jacket, made in 1996 in the USA by Cooper Sportswear.

I originally got this jacket on eBay at a bargain price and after wearing it decided it was so comfortable I thought I would make it a little less grubby.

The zip was sticking so I ordered a NOS zip from MASH over in japan, I also am pretty sure I got the knits from MASH as well. I also got some additional buttons. I then found a Cooper Sportswear G-1 on eBay that was for the civilian market that had a mountain collar that was in fantastic condition so I decided to swap out the crappy synthetic one for a real one. And yes it was properly a fairly expensive way to modify a G-1 but I enjoyed the process and out of the three G-1s I have I like the fit of this one the most.

All the bits and jackets were sent off to Donna and after a long wait, this is the magic she worked. So on to the before and after pictures

Before

G1 1.jpg

G1 11.jpeg

G1 12.jpeg

After

20220622_092737.jpg

20220622_092743.jpg

20220622_092757.jpg

20220622_092820.jpg

20220622_092845.jpg

rob20uk

Great job. But I'd have made the original typical for G1 zip puller (not the B-15 style).
I actually liked the black zip more and as this was a personal jacket that I wanted as a casual one I decided to go with what I thought was a cooler looking zip

The original zips seem oversized and I was never a big fan of them.

Flightengineer

I actually liked the black zip more and as this was a personal jacket that I wanted as a casual one I decided to go with what I thought was a cooler looking zip

The original zips seem oversized and I was never a big fan of them.

Oh, sorry you didn't understand me. I meant leather puller. On G-1, this is a strip of leather that is tied and not stitched, which, like on yours, was used by the Air Force and not the Navy

Brettafett

Rob, I think it was Burt who commented a while back on the AVI thread... To let the collar sit out in the Sun over the summer, and let it develop a bit of a natural fade. Will look great!

I just passed on another original G-1, this one was a C series Brill... Appeared to be in good condition, but needed a clean/ condition and knits needed replacement, at least.
But as per normal, came in a bit too short, esp sleeves.