• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FYI-WPG

Smithy

Extra motivation for warm jacket purchases is what I'm reading

Yeah, I get a LOT of use out of an Irvin here ;-)

Just be aware that Irvins are warm jackets and even in Welly you might find it a bit hot. I used mine when I came back to live for a year in NZ but only when I was driving around in the convertible car I had and that was pretty much only on the really chilly winter days.

They're great jackets and obviously have the whole connotation of the wartime RAF to them but in truth unless you live someone which gets snow or you drive a Caterham lickety-split in all weathers you probably won't get enormous amounts of use out of one.

Not trying to rain on your parade but just trying to give a bit of practical, firsthand experience and also based on experience of NZ's climate.

.jpg

Yeah, I get a LOT of use out of an Irvin here ;-)

Just be aware that Irvins are warm jackets and even in Welly you might find it a bit hot. I used mine when I came back to live for a year in NZ but only when I was driving around in the convertible car I had and that was pretty much only on the really chilly winter days.

They're great jackets and obviously have the whole connotation of the wartime RAF to them but in truth unless you live someone which gets snow or you drive a Caterham lickety-split in all weathers you probably won't get enormous amounts of use out of one.

Not trying to rain on your parade but just trying to give a bit of practical, firsthand experience and also based on experience of NZ's climate.
Todays low was 12. Felt like 8 with wind chill. 120 knot winds tonight. Rain tomorrow.

Point taken though.

It'll be henleys or similar only underneath it i guess.

Ive been longing for the irvin for 20 years or so. Raising my son and keeping the bills paid have always taken precedence as they should have, its only now that i can justify and afford the jacket.

I know its not top tier, but to me it literally is a life long dream coming real.

Smithy

Todays low was 12. Felt like 8 with wind chill. 120 knot winds tonight. Rain tomorrow.

Point taken though.

It'll be henleys or similar only underneath it i guess.

Ive been longing for the irvin for 20 years or so. Raising my son and keeping the bills paid have always taken precedence as they should have, its only now that i can justify and afford the jacket.

I know its not top tier, but to me it literally is a life long dream coming real.

Admittedly I'm acclimatised to here but I never wear my Irvin unless it's below about 2 with wind or 0 or below without wind. The sweet spot for me with an Irvin is around the 0 to -5 mark, below that and especially with wind and I'll be getting a parka out. Above that and they're too warm.

If you really have a hankering for an Irvin then go for the WPG as I believe they're not quite as warm wearing as originals and more accurate repros like ELCs and Aeros.

.jpg

Chur Smithy. Will do.

The forum consensus is the 10 mm pile is the best for me

The price aligns with my finances too :)

.jpg

Just got messaged that the buckle is fragile and will break easily, I've asked if they have spares as i saw this thread

If the answer is no, is finding and fixing a replacement difficult and likely to be costly?

Smithy

The seller has offered it to me for 250 usd. It was 295. Does this seem fair given the impending buckle malfunction?

The buckle going would be a biggie. You might be able to source one from Aero (maybe) but it'll cost a few bob.

The problem with going with a cheaper option is always that you'll almost always end up with these sorts of problems. The reason why they're cheaper is because they have to save money in making the thing and that's nearly always in the qualtiy of materials and where it's made (cheaper labour costs), and also often the quality of the work.

If you really have your heart set on an Irvin, why not save up just a little bit longer and get an Aero. Yes it'll cost more, but it'll be made to measure from top quality materials and if anything goes wrong you'll have their terrific customer service to cover you.

Lots of us have been around here for a long time and been through the same thing. Often paying more and getting exactly what you want works out cheaper than buying something cheaper which ends up having a problem or doesn't fit and you end up having to buy something again - sometimes several times over.

If I was you, I'd save a few more pennies and get an Aero.

.jpg

Hi Smithy.
I have WPG money only. No way can i afford 1500 nzd as a price point. Plus another 150 shipping plus Gst plus import tax.

......plus i already hit buy.....

Everyone...

This forum reminds me of pre facebook days with its warmth and knowledge and grace.

Thank you all for the help and advice

.jpg

MikeyB-17

Mmmm, yeah, wait ‘til it kicks off……:)
You’ll be fine. Plenty here have been more than happy with their WPG Irvins over the years, and I don’t recall broken buckles being a recurring issue. If it goes, deal with it. Either go back to them, or sort it yourself, find one from an old belt, get it done by somebody local to you, or maybe somebody here can help you out. Don’t let it put you off. If I was buying an Irvin, I would head for Aero, but it’s a lot of wonga, especially if you’re not going to be wearing it that often, so I think you’ll be fine with the WPG. Pics when you get it are obligatory, and do us a favour and lay off the thumbnails when you do (bit of a forum gripe). Hope it works out for you.

.jpg

Cheer's Mikeyb-17

First up. What is the origin of wonga . i assume its money. Its a great sounding word.

Second. Thanks for the pragmatic advice. I didnt need much of a nudge :)

Thirdly. A photo.....?
I feel like I've sullied the forum enough but will do. Im excited and anxious.

To all. Thanks for your insight and advice. Not just in your specific replies to me. But in general.
The accumulated knowledge here and stewardship of the stories and of the different jackets and by extension the mana of the men who wore them is immensely valuable.

Thank you for your sharing.

MikeyB-17

Pleasure. Wonga is taken from the Romany wangar, which means coal, which was a slang term for money in the 18th and 19th centuries (it sez ‘ere). :)

Spitfireace

As far as I know WPG is made in the Arab Emirates so if it were made in Pakistan, wouldn't be much different I guess. I would rather stick with a used western made jacket, or if I had money to burn, a new custom made jacket.

Spitfireace

Cheer's Mikeyb-17

First up. What is the origin of wonga . i assume its money. Its a great sounding word.

Second. Thanks for the pragmatic advice. I didnt need much of a nudge :)

Thirdly. A photo.....?
I feel like I've sullied the forum enough but will do. Im excited and anxious.

To all. Thanks for your insight and advice. Not just in your specific replies to me. But in general.
The accumulated knowledge here and stewardship of the stories and of the different jackets and by extension the mana of the men who wore them is immensely valuable.

Thank you for your sharing.
Cheers