• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fur on n-2a MIL-J-6278 C H MASLAND question

bazzer

Hi got a blue 50s n-2a coming its a
MIL-J-6278 C.H.MASHLAND & SON
Drawing N0.51B-3556
Stock N0.(USAF) S/N 8310-485800-451
ORDER N0.A.F-33-(038)-30042
but has no fur on hood on some photos the fur appears to black on white like the captains and on others it the lieutenant just plan coyote fur like the ones below
webp.net-resizeimage-7-1-1.jpg

Does anyone know if it's just dyed coyote or is it different fur or just dyed would like to replace with correct
thanks
baz

MikeyB-17

No expert, but I was going to say that in that pic, the fur on the darker ones appears to have either worn off or been trimmed by the wearers. Having done a quick Google, though, I see that a lot of N-2a’s had fur that appears to have a short, white base layer, with longer, but sparser dark fur on top. This seems to be the case on everyone’s jacket except the chap in the foreground, his is full and fluffy. My guess is colours and fur patterns would vary from jacket to jacket according to the original coyote. I don’t think they were dyed.

Last edited:

917_k

There are definitely two distinct types of fur trim found on N-2A & N-3A jackets: the common (and in my opinion horrible) stiff dark wolf fur with light almost white ground hair base and the very seldom seen thick slightly cream colour fur. Whether these furs are both from the same pelt, but treated (maybe dyed?) and trimmed differently I can’t say, but they are 100% different and the thinner common fur definitely isn’t just the thicker version trimmed back, because the whole look and feel of it is different.

Im not sure if this is a contractor nuance, it doesn’t seem to be because I’ve come across jackets from the same manufacturer with different fur trims. Every Mashland jacket I’ve seen has the common white wolf fur with black ground hair:

3B8E0C08-E624-4AB7-B69B-536AC8CB532F.jpeg

This is the nicer thick fur version (unsure of the contract):

206CFB23-06F3-4700-A00F-63F982B81116.jpeg

The thicker fur seems to be the same as that used on the N-3 (as in the very early first versions), here’s the trim on mine:

50C6BBA2-5043-43A2-B017-48BA1261C44B.jpeg

And for reference the fur trim on an early Albert Turner N-3B (again

AECBC764-41DD-42D0-870B-53DDC0FA139B.jpeg

I hope this helps. Were it me I’d try to find a decent piece of (vintage) thick coyote fur and trim with that or do what the likes of Buzz & RM have done and go down the modern faux route.

bazzer

Thank you for your help
I managed to get the coyote fur for my n-3b from a lady in Bournemouth
I like you don't really like the darker wolf fur
I also think this would be harder to source
Will look around
It's quite good in one sense as will make the cleaning easier
It's coming from states any way so got a few weeks
Baz

917_k

The dark wolf fur on original N-2A & N-3A jackets is seriously horrible. It’s very stiff and basically useless at its intended purpose of keeping out wind and snow when the hood is up. If I could find either jacket with the thicker, softer coyote fur I’d be all over it.

That said, these are still totally awesome jackets. Here are mine:

154AEB82-7717-4F10-B7C2-23C9F3C4E93F.jpeg

D0EC6AD6-6877-49B4-922B-12185143D79C.jpeg

bazzer

Thank you
I don't think I will be able to get fur like that
I can get grey black coyote fur which I think will be the closest from the lady I mentioned
Nice jackets will post when I get mine
Baz

bn1966

Cool jackets, I’ve got an N-2A & really like the dark wolf fur effect..part of what sold me on an N-2A in the first place, I’m not saying it’s comfortable but I love how it looks...

oose

Hi, Monarch and Aviators Clothin Co. Inc. used real Coyote on there N-2a, most other manufactures used the synthetic 'badger', there are many slight differences between the N-2a manufactures, for example some use blue snaps other blackened brass. Knopf used talon zips, others crown or conmar.

All the best
stu

Last edited:

bazzer

Thank you stu did not realise it was synthetic that early on usaf jackets relate it to more modern n-2b with it cheap white fur
will i try to find some that's probably why I seems so hard to source
Baz

917_k

Interesting, I had no idea it was synthetic either.

Thinking of all the manufacturer nuances, the ultimate N-3A for me would be coyote fur trim, crown zipper, Hap Arnold’ decal, and contrast knits.

bazzer

I would prefer coyote however this would not be true to the jacket
I contacted some of the collecters and surplus people I know to see if they have any or contacts
Baz