• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

fur and felt fedoras...........

jacketimp

hi,

just fancy a fedora for xmas and beyond. short of the stamp/mark how does one tell the difference between fur felt and wool felt.

if anyone could post pics and any tips on visual/tactile tell tales (or is there no visual difference?) it'll be greatly appreciated.

cheers,

imp

Wool felt is generally a little hairier and scratchier than fur felt, though there's a wide range in the quality of finishes on both kinds of felt.

You didn't mention if you were talking new or used. In terms of new, any hat that costs under $80 or so will be wool felt - with the significant exception of Akubra hats from Australian dealers.

Always a bargain for their level of quality, the current exchange rate greatly favors the American dollar: you can get two Akubra hats for the cost of one domestic (and inferior quality) Stetson. Check out Web dealers like HatsDirect (they don't have the lowest prices, but they carry more fedora types in stock than most other Aussie dealers, and their shipping is the fastest). Akubras aren't the nicest hats in a traditional luxury sense - that is, they don't compare to $200+ Borsalinos in terms of "hand" - their rabbit-fur felt is generally sturdier than the felt of typical dress hats, reflecting the maker's outback hat history. But they're outstanding values for their price point, and they are very tough, and stand up to the elements better than most modern production hats.

jacketimp

doc strange (remind me of marvel comics),

thanks for infor........i'm from the UK and we have OTT like herbert johnson.......ouch!

let's hope i don't become a mad-hatter.......being a jacket-nut is bad enough......

much obliged,

imp