• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front Quarter Horse Hide

Officer Dibley

Just wondering if anyone who has handled a lot of originals can tell me how many were actually labelled FQHH ?

I’ve had GW & Aero Leather jackets in that hide but it is way too thick to get the sort of drape i like in a jacket. I’m sure others will disagree but that’s just my humble opinion so if you don’t agree, please don’t tell me i’m wrong and try to change my view.

Anyway, i’m intrigued to know if the hide was purposely used for all / some jackets, if it was marked fqhh when it was used or if it was all pulled off the horse randomly.

Cheers
Dave

Ken at Aero Leather

The only section of a Horse hide that's suitable for clothing is the Front Quarter although the belly area is often retaiuned these days it's usually too stretchy.
The mane area is sometimes left attached but that's a more modern tweek, now called Double Quarter where both front quarters are tanned in one piece
Front Quarter Horsehide has become the default term for heavy horse skins, that's probably Aero's fault as between the early 1960s and the early 1990s nobody else on the planet was interested in making jackets from Horse Leather. We pushed the term FQHH
Type A-2s back in the day were made from thinner front quarters than Aero/Horween FQHH
Tea Core is another new term coined in Japan for what Aero have been doing this since the early 1990s, we called it Jerky Horse because the hides were chosen for their mixed grain, like Jerky meat, the base was dyed a russet coilour and the top coat was Seal Brown or Black....................OK the "Core" looked like "Tea" but pass me a Thesarus before more shpiel is needed by the marketing dept

petermack09

8F6EA8CF-5E8A-4FB8-BB75-F27934D577F9.jpeg
BF8BD029-6A28-412A-88ED-4E00DCB5F345.gif
Here’s mine ,and I call it,

Last edited:

MikeyB-17

I vaguely recall a one-off or prototype Aero A-2 made with the full-weight FQHH. No doubt it weighed a ton, I doubt it was easy to wear, and I don’t think Aero were terribly keen on making a habit of making them as it was a pain in the arse to sew. This was a good while ago and I may be talking out of my arse again. Lovely though the FQHH jackets I’ve seen have been, I’m no longer as keen as I once was on really heavy leather-thinner stuff like goat is much more pleasant to wear.

petermack09

I vaguely recall a one-off or prototype Aero A-2 made with the full-weight FQHH. No doubt it weighed a ton, I doubt it was easy to wear, and I don’t think Aero were terribly keen on making a habit of making them as it was a pain in the arse to sew. This was a good while ago and I may be talking out of my arse again. Lovely though the FQHH jackets I’ve seen have been, I’m no longer as keen as I once was on really heavy leather-thinner stuff like goat is much more pleasant to wear.
I remember that jacket from the fedora lounge years ago,,pretty sure it was sold on a couple of times.

Ken at Aero Leather

It's very easy to get the the measurement wrong with heavy CXFQHH

Two identical jackets cut using the same pattern, one in lets say in our Majestic Goat Suede (not all that thin) and the other from heavy CXFQHH can end up with a pit to pit as much as 2" different, while the goatskin flattens nicely on the seams for the top stitch, the CXFQHH won't flatten at all and best part of 1/2" gets lost in the vertical seam, two seams on the side panel on each side = 2"

MikeyB-17

Here it is
That’s the feller! Have to say I thought it looked bit daft when new, but the later shot of it when worn in looks OK. Bet that took some breaking in. Wonder what it looks like now.

Nickb123

It's very easy to get the the measurement wrong with heavy CXFQHH

Two identical jackets cut using the same pattern, one in lets say in our Majestic Goat Suede (not all that thin) and the other from heavy CXFQHH can end up with a pit to pit as much as 2" different, while the goatskin flattens nicely on the seams for the top stitch, the CXFQHH won't flatten at all and best part of 1/2" gets lost in the vertical seam, two seams on the side panel on each side = 2"

That actually makes a lot of sense, Ken.