• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

French cyclist jacket (or Hartmann) the 2nd.

stanier

Talking about changing buttons , a while back I notice several of the original photos of LW pilots wearing these jacket opted to have the traditional leather buttons changed out for German military pebble finished buttons .
View attachment 45248
So I went on line and purchased some repro WWII German buttons and replaced them on an old LW jacket thatI’ve posted here in the past . I think it came out ok . Just sharing an idea with you Enigma . Not trying to steal your thread
View attachment 45250
Look at the collar on that original! Looks like it would be more at home in a 1970's Starsky & Hutch episode! I much prefer you LW repro collar B-man2 and Pilot's rendition.

B-Man2

Look at the collar on that original! Looks like it would be more at home in a 1970's Starsky & Hutch episode! I much prefer you LW repro collar B-man2 and Pilot's rendition.
You’re so right . That collar is a throw back to the Super Fly collars of the 1970s.... but .... since it was 30 years before the 1970s, I guess maybe the fashion world used the LW collar as their pattern back in those days .

B-Man2

Hi Kermit
Not sure who you’re requesting a fit pic from . The jacket we were discussing was the WWII original LW jacket with the overly large collar. No one here owns that one.

Kermit3D

Hi Kermit
Not sure who you’re requesting a fit pic from . The jacket we were discussing was the WWII original LW jacket with the overly large collar. No one here owns that one.

Sorry, I misspoke, I was talking about this jacket :

20201013_125321-jpg.45221

Enigma1938

The jacket looks superb and fits you perfectly!

The leather does not seem to be the same as on mine. It is lighter and the texture of the leather seems different.

Indeed it is a different leather. I've seen a lot of jackets from pilot or the little artisan and there was used a lot of different hides. I'm not 100% sure how old your jacket is but I'm pretty sure that my jacket is older than yours, at least it is a few years old.

Kermit3D

Indeed it is a different leather. I've seen a lot of jackets from pilot or the little artisan and there was used a lot of different hides. I'm not 100% sure how old your jacket is but I'm pretty sure that my jacket is older than yours, at least it is a few years old.

It is possible that your jacket is indeed older. But the color is beautiful too !
You have an "Eclair" zipper (French) and I have a "Waldes" zipper (Japanese).
The overall cut seems to be about the same. Pilot should tell us more

A photo to compare :

21.jpg

Johnnie Espresso

wow....for days, i`m looking through old threads about french cyclist jackets, and i am absolutely stunned about member Pilots work. Those are the best repros i`ve ever seen. The ELC Jackets have nothing on them. Simply beautiful.

Johnnie Espresso

Talking about changing buttons , a while back I notice several of the original photos of LW pilots wearing these jacket opted to have the traditional leather buttons changed out for German military pebble finished buttons .

So I went on line and purchased some repro WWII German buttons and replaced them on an old LW jacket thatI’ve posted here in the past . I think it came out ok . Just sharing an idea with you Enigma . Not trying to steal your thread
View attachment 45250

hello b-man, did this jacket by any chance have a label inside that said "Bekleidungsfabrik Habelt, Württemberg"?

Johnnie Espresso

thank you! I recognized it by its buckle. do you know who made these? I have a similar one and i always wondered where it came from. One thing i know for sure: not germany. "wrttbg." is for "Württemberg" and would have a capital "W", and the word "Grösse" (size) misses the umlaut....

1651303617807.jpg

B-Man2

Unfortunately I don’t have a clue as I don’t know much about this label. However we have a few German speaking friends here who might be able to help you with that question. I’m sure when they see this post they will respond.