• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

French cyclist jacket (or Hartmann) the 2nd.

Johnnie Espresso

Unfortunately I don’t have a clue as I don’t know much about this label. However we have a few German speaking friends here who might be able to help you with that question. I’m sure when they see this post they will respond.
no need, thank you. I am from germany myself. yours is the only other jacket with this label i ever encountered. I know it's fake, made to look like a genuine Habelt logo (a company that really existed and produced U-Boot-jackets, afak).
I just wondered who REALLY made these jackets and when. They kinda look like 1990's......

Johnnie Espresso

Bingo!.
… and like most of the low cost makers they have a problem with the „ Umlaut „ and cursive….“ grossgeschrieben/kleingeschrieben „ :)
Haha, and that's a detail that bums me out. The jacket itself is surprisingly well made, not the cheapest of materials and it fits very well. With a little research, it's also not too hard to find the original Habelt clothestag. If you make an attempt to copy it, why in such a lackluster way?....but speaking of copys, Pilot: i've seen a couple of beautiful Hartmanns around here that were supposedly made by you, is that correct? And if so, are you still in Business?

Pilot

Haha, and that's a detail that bums me out. The jacket itself is surprisingly well made, not the cheapest of materials and it fits very well. With a little research, it's also not too hard to find the original Habelt clothestag. If you make an attempt to copy it, why in such a lackluster way?....but speaking of copys, Pilot: i've seen a couple of beautiful Hartmanns around here that were supposedly made by you, is that correct? And if so, are you still in Business?
Thankyou for your kind words.
With the ( old) new admin. in control… we stop all “in France “ an relocate in Luxemburg or maybe Germany….jackets are still produced “ Made in France” according to the EU rules and standards…
but due to social and political incoherences… plus ridicules taxes “ to support the mob’s (??).We and our japanese investors/clients and supporters decided to move out.. and keep it as a minimum legal for “ Made in France”…several lay-offs.. all social contributions done and paid…
Thanks for your concern.

Johnnie Espresso

Oh, sorry to hear that there's been a rocky road for you and your associates. I've never been self-employed, and i can only guess how hard it must be to let people go that work for you.

But i admire your craftsmanship, or shall i say, artistry. There is a huge difference between roughly reproducing something or actually catching the Spirit of a piece of clothing.

There is no better "neo-Hartmanns" than yours that i know of, and i sincerely hope you will BE able to leave behind all difficulties and carry on making beautiful leatherwear like the jackets you made for Kermit and others.

Pilot

Dankeschön, merci beaucoup!
its just that you pay you contribute and there is zero value… Taxes… security and plenty of others…
Got burgled 9 times… my cars got vandalized hundreds of times… no real feedback.. the “ nouvelle chance pour la France” never got it… la paix sociale’.
We leave and wish this new old young government and its women and men all good. Not with my taxes nor the ones of my wifes nor assets anymore…
Merci beaucoup..

Last edited:

CombatWombat

Jeez I've love these style of jacket but I've hesitated for years because cafe racer looking moto jackets usually have tiny arm lengths

Kermit3D

Jeez I've love these style of jacket but I've hesitated for years because cafe racer looking moto jackets usually have tiny arm lengths

If we can find a problem of length to the cyclist jackets, it is not at the level of the sleeves... ;)
It is often the length of the body that can be a problem. They are very short jackets which sometimes makes them difficult to wear with modern pants. But it contributes largely to this "clean" cut which makes all the charm of these jackets.
Modern "cafe racer" jackets are actually very different from cyclist jackets (1930's -1940's cut).

I can only encourage you to try this type of jacket, if you can find one.. :)

CombatWombat

If we can find a problem of length to the cyclist jackets, it is not at the level of the sleeves... ;)
It is often the length of the body that can be a problem. They are very short jackets which sometimes makes them difficult to wear with modern pants. But it contributes largely to this "clean" cut which makes all the charm of these jackets.
Modern "cafe racer" jackets are actually very different from cyclist jackets (1930's -1940's cut).

I can only encourage you to try this type of jacket, if you can find one.. :)
I'm in Australia so there is zero chance of encountering these anywhere..... But like cafe racer jackets it would be the arm lengths that kill me.....body length isn't a issue at all since I'm not tall by any ones estimation and I wear trousers that fit the natural waistline as in just above the navel .....it's the bloody orangutan arms I have lol