• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

French cyclist Jacket on ebay france

Johnnie Espresso

if anyone is interested.....but it's a hefty price for a jacket that needs quite some attention.

s-l1600.jpg

Kermit3D

A nice jacket but unfortunately in bad condition. The shoulder, among others, is very damaged.
A cyclist jacket (also with a damaged shoulder, but overall in better condition) was on sale on a well known second hand website in France ("le bon coin") for 300 euros, and it stayed there for several months.
850 euros is way too expensive for this jacket.

Out of curiosity Johnnie Espresso where are you from ?

Johnnie Espresso

Good morning, Kermit! I remember you posting the link to the jacket you mentioned, either here or on the fedoralounge. I saw it, but couldn't access the site properly. I'm from Germany, btw.

Kermit3D

Goodmorning from France :)
Here are some pictures of the jacket that was on sale.
I made a mistake, the shoulders were in good condition, the damage was under the arms and on one sleeve.
If this jacket had fit me, I would have bought it... 300 euros was a good price.
...but almost no original cyclist jackets fit me well :(

1f2cf32d30ddb3dc818b754484c08acc5a5819af.jpg

7186b862c6420c22ac5e46f3373ffbfdf361cc66.jpg

c2986378e0d00efb9d78664ec7d78a297918aa71.jpg

a62da1f968325e2839e83f1304bd751034bd9e8b.jpg

4e527432bd46c4011878aaa87dce311e0236d6e7.jpg

Last edited:

Johnnie Espresso

ooooooh, what a beauty! And for that price, almost a no-brainer.....But you are right, finding one that fits is like a win in the lottery. I'm skinny enough to get in, but then they're so short that i have to put my pants right under my armpits.....

Kermit3D

Ahah I have exactly the same problem as you. :D
I am 1m88 for 75 kg. The back length of original jackets rarely exceeds 52 or 53 cm... Below 57 cm I can't wear it.

The back length of the cyclist jacket that was on sale at 300 euros was 53 cm

Johnnie Espresso

seems like we have pretty much the same statue. Two competitors for the holy grail, eh? :D
The one i own came also surprisingly cheap, so i had to get it, even though my girlfriend told me immediately that it's a bad fit.
There's a guy in my hometown who's pushing two "Hartmanns" for ages now, charging 2000€/3000€ (!!!) for them, they come and go and he never seems to sell them.
In the beginning of this year, i wrote him and asked if it was possible to try on and inspect the jacket, and he just brushed me off with "no, it won't fit anyway". I asked him how he could possibly know that i'm not just a 1,50m-guy.
Never heard back from him...

Enigma1938

seems like we have pretty much the same statue. Two competitors for the holy grail, eh? :D
The one i own came also surprisingly cheap, so i had to get it, even though my girlfriend told me immediately that it's a bad fit.
There's a guy in my hometown who's pushing two "Hartmanns" for ages now, charging 2000€/3000€ (!!!) for them, they come and go and he never seems to sell them.
In the beginning of this year, i wrote him and asked if it was possible to try on and inspect the jacket, and he just brushed me off with "no, it won't fit anyway". I asked him how he could possibly know that i'm not just a 1,50m-guy.
Never heard back from him...

I know that seller / his jackets pretty good. I think his price tag has more to do with the use of such jackets in german airforce than just being a french cyclist jacket and he's waiting for a rich Russian militaria collector or something similar, someone who doesn't even ask a thing just hitting the "buy it now" button....
In Russia german ww2 military is pretty popular, they nearly emptied the german military/ online market the last decades. People who have more money than brain cells...

Johnnie Espresso

"roomnine" he's called on the 'bay. And yeah, he'll probably find somebody to pay that much money for a Jacket that has no provenance except for his story. I've seen Hartmanns on militaria dealers' sites that went for less,
even when they were complete, with shoulder boards and all. Maybe i should make some contacts to russia if there are people willing to pay big bucks for a jacket like that.....:p

Ian a

Goodmorning from France :)
Here are some pictures of the jacket that was on sale.
I made a mistake, the shoulders were in good condition, the damage was under the arms and on one sleeve.
If this jacket had fit me, I would have bought it... 300 euros was a good price.
...but almost no original cyclist jackets fit me well :(

View attachment 77354

View attachment 77355

View attachment 77356

View attachment 77357

View attachment 77358
Hi chaps, just something I have come across and often wondered, the side adjustment D - Rings, on this one the long strap that goes through the D -rings when tightened will face forward [photo 2] on others I have seen the long strap when tightened points backwards, now was this common to have different makers have different designs as regards side D - ring straps?

Ian a

This one for example the long strap when tightened will face backwards, always curious as to why the difference and would one be easier to tighten than the other ? thanks

Attachments

• 1image_1082874.jpg
    1image_1082874.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 196

Johnnie Espresso

Hi chaps, just something I have come across and often wondered, the side adjustment D - Rings, on this one the long strap that goes through the D -rings when tightened will face forward [photo 2] on others I have seen the long strap when tightened points backwards, now was this common to have different makers have different designs as regards side D - ring straps?
hi Ian,
....very early on a saturday, so i needed some time to realize, what you are referring to;)
it's true: some of those "fasteners" sit in the back, some in the front. My guess is, that it's in the taste of the maker, as i can see no advantage in one way or the other.
But then again, i'm a noob with a particular taste in one specific kind of jacket. Maybe the some of the more accomplished folks here have more information about that for you.....

Attachments

• IMG_20220409_080502.jpg
    IMG_20220409_080502.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 158
  • IMG_20220409_080417.jpg
    IMG_20220409_080417.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 155
  • IMG_20220409_080441.jpg
    IMG_20220409_080441.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 187

Ian a

hi Ian,
....very early on a saturday, so i needed some time to realize, what you are referring to;)
it's true: some of those "fasteners" sit in the back, some in the front. My guess is, that it's in the taste of the maker, as i can see no advantage in one way or the other.
But then again, i'm a noob with a particular taste in one specific kind of jacket. Maybe the some of the more accomplished folks here have more information about that for you.....
Thanks mate, Yes seems to be the case, often thought possible that french made jackets went one direction and german/others went the other? :confused:

Johnnie Espresso

Thanks mate, Yes seems to be the case, often thought possible that french made jackets went one direction and german/others went the other? :confused:
Hmm, i don't think that's the Case, because also the germans got this Type of jacket from france. AFAIK this type was never produced in Germany itself....

Sugar001

Hello everyone, I am a new member. i just found this hartmann jacket in pretty good condition but there is information about how long they were made. Can you tell me more? I would be very grateful for that, thank you very much

Kermit3D

Welcome Sugar001
It's a beautiful jacket, congratulations. It looks to be in great condition.
It's a cyclist jacket, certainly made in France. These jackets were made in the '30s, '40s, and maybe early '50s. They are civilian jackets, which were very fashionable in France during that period. They were worn by cyclists/motorcyclists, workers, merchants,...
During the Second World War, many German pilots bought this type of jacket (in occupied France) and used it as a flying jacket.

The main zipper on your jacket appears to be a "Eclair" zipper from the late '40s/early '50s.
This could potentially indicate that it's a late cyclist jacket. Or that the main zipper has been replaced.
Are there no buttons on the bottom pockets ?
Feel free to post more photos.

Again, this is a very nice jacket.

Pilot

My little input:
1) why not asking before buying? Might save you a bit of investment.
2) rectangular shaped Eclair zips from 1949 to 1987.
3) apparently Gitex „ made in France“ labeled zips … hmm post 1956… or later…( I might be mistaken on the photos but they look like Gitex )
Closure position for chest zips ,on the pits … typical 1960-70s.
4) this jacket ? Kiddy size… ( no adult can ever wear it not now nor in the 40“/50“) was on the net for ages… wonder why?
Last but not least unbuttoned pocket flaps ( buttons or snaps … hmmm 60-70ies)..
Happy to be proved mistaken..

Last edited: