• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

French cyclist jacket (Hartmann jacket) by Pilot

Kermit3D

Tomorrow I'm going to try a Levi's 501. We'll see how it suit with the jacket. I will also see vintages clothes shops.

Kermit3D

Told you about the Wrangler pro rodeo series the cowboy cut look..Cowboys.. sat most of the time when they ride horses and the pro rodeo jeans are high waisted, just my 2 cts

Yes I looked at them on google, they are very nice !
I like that too :
https://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/usn-red-selvage-denim-jeans-1930-s-us-navy-deck-jeans.html

But I have never worn this kind of cut and I would like to try it before buying on the internet. The Levi's 501 can be found everywhere, I'll probably start with that. Ideally the Levi's 501 1947 (but it's expensive...) :
https://www.levi.com/FR/fr_FR/colle...s-vintage-clothing-1947-501-jeans/p/475010200

flyincowboy

It's up to you i was found of the 501big E but the quality is not the sameas the first model made. if i have to choose a pair of jeans i will go for the USN RED SELVAGE denims.... look more accurate and period correct to me.

Kermit3D

I went to Toulouse today and bought 3 pants!
- one Lee jeans (high waist)
- a light brown chino (high waist too)
- a beautiful 1947 Edwin jeans regular (original cut from 1947)

And I'm very happy because all 3 fit perfectly with the Hartmann jacket ! No more problems with the length of the jacket.

Thank you for convincing me not to change the length of the jacket... :)
I will take pictures tomorrow.

Smithy

And I'm very happy because all 3 fit perfectly with the Hartmann jacket ! No more problems with the length of the jacket.

Bon travail Kermit!

That really is the most beautiful jacket and arguably one of the best looking "flying jackets" so you're a very lucky fellow.

I made the mistake of showing my wife the photos of your jacket and she said to me, "why don't you get a jacket like that. That's way better looking than all those other ones you have." ;)

mulceber

Fantastic, K3D! So is your jacket quest complete, or are you going to stick around and explore other styles (or other FC jackets)?

Last edited:

Kermit3D

Bon travail Kermit!

That really is the most beautiful jacket and arguably one of the best looking "flying jackets" so you're a very lucky fellow.

I made the mistake of showing my wife the photos of your jacket and she said to me, "why don't you get a jacket like that. That's way better looking than all those other ones you have." ;)

I am aware of my luck... :)

This jacket has been making me dream for 10 years.
In fact, I have dreamed so much about this jacket that when I received it and realized that it was not wearable with my current clothes (especially pants), I panicked a little... :D
I didn't realize that the jacket alone wouldn't work.
I now understand that the clothes you associate with the jacket are just as important.
The pants I chose are relatively close to a modern cut (even if the Edwin even very vintage typed). But I'm taking it slow...
In 6 months I'll put on suspenders ! :D

Smithy let yourself be tempted by the Hartmann... ;)
PS : With these new pants, my wife loves the jacket again ! :D

mulceber

Actually, come to think of it, I recall hearing lately that GW’s wait times might be down to a year soon. Might be best to contact him, explain the situation and see what he says.

mulceber

You’ll have to decide on a contract, because A-2 patterns varied quite a bit (there wasn’t any definite pattern for the A-2 that everyone had to use), but he’s got a good list of suggested contracts on his site.

Last edited:

Flightengineer

Bon travail Kermit!

Tim, your wife is undoubtedly a saint