• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

French cyclist jacket (Hartmann jacket) by Pilot

Pilot

Everyone is welcome to join in this conversation with great pleasure. :)

I have been looking for this kind of jacket for a very long time. For me it was only Eastman who had a correct jacket... (we will not talk about Noble House). Then I discovered the jackets that Pilot sells.
I searched the internet as much as I could, I never found anything else.

Thx to all, from 01.01.21 onwards I double my prices...:D

B-Man2

Well it certainly opens the door wide for Pilot or anyone who had the complete knowledge of the history of this jacket , coupled with the manufacturing and business skills to acquire the correct materials and craftsmen to corner this limited market . The jacket certainly has the appeal from both a historical perspective and from the fashion side to be a cool jacket for everyday where . As crazy as it sounds, I could easily see this jacket being very appealing to the female fashion market with its short waist and tight fitting design . Wished I lived in Paris ... ( for a lot of reasons not just this jacket:)) . Id search every leather shop that I could find and talk to every leather maker . There’s got to be someone who has the knowledge of the history, skills and techniques it takes to produce these .Definitely not trying to take any business or detract from Pilots jackets in any way . I think he’s done a great thing to foster the development and perpetuate the life of the French cyclist jacket , and a great deal of thanks to him for doing that .

Bombing IP

I think that Pilot will hit a home run with the making of this type of jacket ,why because it has been absent from the market for many years .The timing is perfect with regards to the cut and the fit also the length .I foresee this jacket being around for many years . After all it only takes one celebrity to wear such a jacket and then the whole world wants one .There is going to be a renaissance of the Type A-2 once the 8th Air force film comes out next year and we will see prices going up . It would only take a film about the Maquis or the resistance to ignite the flame for the une veste cycliste . I think the Hartmann name has to go its a misnoma a major one at that .

BIP

Last edited:

Kermit3D

I think that Pilot will hit a home run with the making of this type of jacket ,why because it has been absent from the market for many years .The timing is perfect with regards to the cut and the fit also the length .I foresee this jacket being around for many years . After all it only takes one celebrity to wear such a jacket and then the whole world wants one .There is going to be a renaissance of the Type A-2 once the 8th Air force film comes out next year and we will see prices going up . It would only take a film about the Maquis or the resistance to ignite the flame .

BIP

Regarding the A-2 jacket, I totally agree !
Isn't the French cycling jacket known only by jacket's geeks (like us) ?
It's a real shame but it seems to me that this jacket has fallen into oblivion.
We can hardly find anyone who sells it, and it's impossible to find any website that talks about the history of this jacket.

The few brands that offer this type of jacket present it as a German jacket for luftwaffe pilots.

However, I wish Pilot of course to succeed in this market. It would be really nice if fashion was reborn.
And I agree, the timing is right.

Kermit3D

Thank you very much Bombing IP for this kind message. Once again I am aware that I am very lucky.

But if I hadn't registered on specialized forums like here or Fedora Lounge, I would never have known about this jacket. I would undoubtedly have bought the ELC "Hartmann" model. I would probably have been happy with it, but if I had later discovered the pilot jacket, I would have regretted my purchase.

That's why I wish others who would be interested in cycling jackets to have easier access to Pilot jackets.

Just a point of clarification: I make fun of ELC, but they still make very nice jackets.

Kermit3D

And here are the beautiful gloves I just received (sold to me by Pilot).
They fit me perfectly, the leather is very nice and very soft. They date from before 1945 and seem to have never (or almost never) been worn.

I just have a doubt about the lining which looks new and modern (I may be wrong). But that doesn't spoil the quality of the gloves.

I'm delighted ! :)

23.jpg

22.jpg

24.jpg

ausreenactor

I think that Pilot will hit a home run with the making of this type of jacket ,why because it has been absent from the market for many years .The timing is perfect with regards to the cut and the fit also the length .I foresee this jacket being around for many years . After all it only takes one celebrity to wear such a jacket and then the whole world wants one .There is going to be a renaissance of the Type A-2 once the 8th Air force film comes out next year and we will see prices going up . It would only take a film about the Maquis or the resistance to ignite the flame for the une veste cycliste . I think the Hartmann name has to go its a misnoma a major one at that .

BIP

Steering through a formation of B-17s in an Me-109 generates more of a fascination than riding along cobblestone streets and staying indoors... If they show much of the German element in the upcoming series then there may be a follow on for jacket sales. I expected a rise in interest for USMC kit after The Pacific like the Bandwagon of Brothers craze. Nothing eventuated.

Five Star will make a killing in the short term and I think American Patrol Cap and Society Brand crushers will get a look in. Aside from that I don't think there will be too much of a buy in. I grabbed a few 2nd Armored patches before Fury came out just in case the prices went crazy. Nothing really happened. SM Wholesale, Buzz Rickson and Bronson all did a mock up jacket... None hit the mark with accurate patches?

There will certainly be a market for Pilots jackets at his preferred pricing point, based on the bespoke construct and filling the void left in the production space. Concur that a website would benefit; however, word of mouth was highly successful for the outgoing artisan.

Bombing IP

Niche market is what he is trying for (price elevation more profit) . As said before he is in perfect position to gain many fruits as a result ,the only thing i see not working for him is ignorance .By this I mean the buying public would not know a perfect cycliste jacket representation over a noble house ,and a hipster who wears low rise jeans would certainly not like the short length of the Pilot offering . They would not see the values in the price difference because to them they all look the same . For them its a fashion for us its as been said before its 1940s in a box as close as you could get to deadstock .Re the USMC kit after the Pacific series price staying the same I do not think that Grant would agree ,as he has mentioned this in some of his posts .

BIP

ausreenactor

Niche market is what he is trying for (price elevation more profit) . As said before he is in perfect position to gain many fruits as a result ,the only thing i see not working for him is ignorance .By this I mean the buying public would not know a perfect cycliste jacket representation over a noble house ,and a hipster who wears low rise jeans would certainly not like the short length of the Pilot offering . They would not see the values in the price difference because to them they all look the same . For them its a fashion for us its as been said before its 1940s in a box as close as you could get to deadstock .Re the USMC kit after the Pacific series price staying the same I do not think that Grant would agree ,as he has mentioned this in some of his posts .

BIP

All original militaria will appreciate. There is no doubting that. There was no visible increase in the number of USMC living history groups, a shift towards USMC events. I guess the lack of 'enemy' at events always was a restriction. I have new with tags dress jackets I would struggle to get over US$100 for. I have a KG Luke EGA that would fetch $300 any day of the week. Put a large original 5th Mar Div tunic with provenance against an original 82nd Airborne Class A tunic with original insignia and no back story and look at the difference.

We digress from Pilot's goals and outputs and I am in agreement 100%. The demand will be there, can you generate it with a movie role? Get one on Harry Styles' shoulders somehow? Not an old man, as we know old guys should not wear leather jackets.