• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Freewheelers A1

John Lever

I'll see your true, and raise a true.

Call me a nerd, but it always irks me that people call a 1920's leather jacket that buttons up the front with two button pockets an A-1. The design was around well before the A-1 came into being.
I have seen English ones from the 1920's. Derek at Lewis has one or two.

Silver Surfer

freewheelers makes some beautiful jackets. yes, the prices are nutzo, but, now and again,, you can land a "used", second hand one at a decent knocked down price. often, guys get them not realizing they are almost one size smaller then tagged, so they sell the jacket.. last year, i landed a freewheelers "caboose" for less then 1/2 the price when new. the guy who sold it to me never even wore it, so for all intents and purposes, i got a new freewheelers jacket at a bargin bin price. dunno how the a-1 above is made, or how it fits, but i can assure ya that the jacket i have is made to exacting detail,, the hides are remarkable, and fits as though it was made for me, ie: bespoke.

John Lever

freewheelers makes some beautiful jackets. yes, the prices are nutzo, but, now and again,, you can land a "used", second hand one at a decent knocked down price. often, guys get them not realizing they are almost one size smaller then tagged, so they sell the jacket.. last year, i landed a freewheelers "caboose" for less then 1/2 the price when new. the guy who sold it to me never even wore it, so for all intents and purposes, i got a new freewheelers jacket at a bargin bin price. dunno how the a-1 above is made, or how it fits, but i can assure ya that the jacket i have is made to exacting detail,, the hides are remarkable, and fits as though it was made for me, ie: bespoke.
You can take that to the bank, Vic knows his onions.

tjoenn

Am I the only one who thinks that this leather looks "over-engineered" and uncomfortable?

And a little like...well..a "Walker" from The Walking Dead? Some will say “full of character", but for me it looks like every last bit of life has been drenched from the leather...

Maybe it's just the photo quality...

You're not the only one... I'd much rather have Jeremiah's Dubow! Now that looks like "healthy" grainy leather! :)

MikeyB-17

It don’t do much for me, then again A-1’s and their ilk never do. Looks like it’s been screwed up in storage for a long time.

johnwayne

To me it looks like just another slightly exaggerated take on the A1, making the pockets larger and more user friendly and while not wishing to slag it off overall it's a nice jacket that's just silly money given the alternatives we know of. To those with cash to burn who don't give a hoot about authenticity then I'm sure they'll be happy. BTW, I've always fancied an olive A1 but years back I recall LW's version wasn't particularly a subtle olive whereas I'm sure JC made one once that as always looked the dogs do- dahs!!

ties70

It is green btw, well olive.

John,

the longer I think about it the more I am sure that it was indeed the colour that led to my comments about the jacket...might be a totally different impression if it was red / reddish leather.

Ties

Skyhawk

You are right, this is not an A-1. It is a USN 37J1. It has the USN reinforced snaps on the collar and it is a tapered style collar not a button up type. Also the pockets are mid level and actually the right size for a few of the contracts. However, the pocket flaps are exaggerated as has been said. A pretty close repro though. Actually closer than most.

I like the hide. Nice dark Olive and looks thick and grainy. Not spec. but cool looking.

Regards,
Jay

PeterShiao

Screenshot_2023-06-13-21-38-47-64_a87fd7db6caa850b517aa6fa9d2fcd0e.jpg
it's freewheeler 37J1