• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

frayed wrist knits and dry cleaning

flightmac

I just got a 1974 L-2B with some stains and a few frayed holes in the wrist knits. It was basically thrown in with a 1965 MA-1 that's in almost new condition. The fraying isn't at the end, but rather around holes midway between where the knit attaches and where it folds back inside. They don't go through to the inside knit. I just took some pictures that I'll post up later.

My question is how will the holes fair if the jacket is dry cleaned; will they fray more and expand, or do they generally stay about the same? If anyone has any experience with this, I'd appreciate knowing what happened in your case.

unclegrumpy

I'd say your best bet is to post a picture.

That said, it is always a gamble to send something off to the cleaners....sometimes there is no change, other times a lot of change. Depending on what they look like, sometimes it helps to do a repair first, but often the knits are rotting, and there is not much you can do about that.

dmar836

There are many nylon jackets that are all shrunken and wrinkled at the cuffs and zip due to careless cleaners. I wouldn't buy such a jacket and I know many others would avoid one as well. They are quite common and some even believe they are supposed to look that way.
I would really want to be sure they knew what they were doing.
JMO,
Dave

Members online

Latest posts