• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found this jacket at a garage sale.

Raymund

So is it real?

B-Man2

Hi
Your jacket is a reproduction of a US Navy G-1 flight jacket. It is not an original US Military issued Naval flight jacket

CBI

really nice Brill civi version, probably no real difference between it and an issued Brill Bros. Navy contract jacket. Possibly sold at the PX for purchase by folks not issued a jacket.

Raymund

I found it and me a complete noob on size and make. For some reason thought was size 38 similar to a jeans size. Bought it and to my surprise didn’t fit me. Got too excited when lady told me 20 dollars. Thank you all for your input.

B-Man2

I found it and me a complete noob on size and make. For some reason thought was size 38 similar to a jeans size. Bought it and to my surprise didn’t fit me. Got too excited when lady told me 20 dollars. Thank you all for your input.
Still a bargin even if it doesn't fit you'll get your money back and then some at $20.00

ausreenactor

Thought to myself not again.. How are these things popping up now?

As long as you are happy with it and it was cheap, it's a bargain.

Grant

It's real and not a repro! Cool civilian version G-1 made by a Vietnam War era contractor - these jackets are often rarer than the contract issued jackets!
I used to old a civilian market H&L Block M422a that except for the label / painted USN stencil was identical to the original.

MikeyB-17

Yeah I had a 60's Irvin B. Foster G-1 made for the PX. It was indistinguishable from an issue jacket, except that it had no USN on the windflap, and it had a two-piece back panel. That's a good find.

porkchop

As a former Naval Officer, and at one of my commands where I had responsibilities for the ParaLoft (parachute loft) and issuance of flight jackets, that Brill Bros. jacket was made on the same "line" as the Navy-punched version. (I saw that line with my own two eyes.) There is no difference between the two jackets other than the tag and USN "punch." The "punched" versions were issued to Navy and Marine Corps flight crews (officer and enlisted), the "non-punched" were issued to foreign flight crews (when available) with any remainders being placed in the base's PX.

Hopefully, this was helpful.

Thanks,

Bob.