• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found something nice and interesting today :)

Griffon_301

Well...as the topic says. And it gave me a nice trip down memory lane when I was a strapping young lad and desperately wanted to own a sheepskin jacket after watching Memphis Belle on VHS for the fifth or so time...thank God ELMC had advertised in Fly Past magazine and as this was the only English language aviation magazine available in my small Austrian hometown, I was double lucky to see the as and be able to order from them...the rest is history and now I am owning quite a lot of stuff from them, also counting in BR thingies...

Attachments

• IMG_20181217_160548_231.jpg
    IMG_20181217_160548_231.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 172

Griffon_301

Oh and btw I also found the first advertising folder that RMNZ had sent out and just to make you guys drool, here is the price lists from both, ELMC and RMNZ from about 1995 IIRC...

Attachments

• 20181217_160138.jpg
    20181217_160138.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 178

Griffon_301

I thought the same when I saw those prices...unfortunately as a young lad my funds were limited to getting the B3/B2 combo and for that I had to work hard during the summer holidays in the year i got the combo...
funny to think that all this worked without internet; there was the order form which I had to fill out and send via mail together with my credit card details; and then the waiting started.... ah those memories :)

Micawber

Ah yes those were the days, and not that long ago in the great scheme of things. I have a copy of both the same ELC stuff tucked away somewhere. If memory serves me correctly the price list used to come with hide and colour samples. Back then I really not interested in what repro stuff was around, only original. 1995 being the 50th anniversary of the end of WW2 meant the UK wash awash with nostalgia and many large veteran group return trips and gatherings took place. Prices of original gear started to creep up as interest gathered pace but had been doing so since Memphis Belle Mk2 was released a few years before. Bob Morgan and crew came back again and there was a screening of Wyler's Memphis Belle followed by a Q&A session in the local town hall - it was packed.

In the UK in the '60's & '70's the Exchange & Mart militaria section ran to pages sometimes and surplus stores still had wartime gear at what would be considered unimaginably cheap prices today. But it was still in the "old army stuff" category and often bought as work or mc gear. I wish I'd kept all the gear that has has passed through my hands but time moves on and I'd need some serious storage now.

Last edited:

MikeyB-17

Yeah, that’s the catalogue I ordered my first ELC steer A-2 from, in 1997, and that’s what I paid-£250.

kowalski

Imagine the time of deep communism here in Poland 1970 - 85 y plus minus ; for wearing a military us jacket ; e.g m65 , ike each could be locked in jail , at best, be beaten by militias ( today police) .Personally I was beaten more than once for it :p;) .I had m65 when I was a student. Jacket B3 or Irvin was the dream of every rebellious man. They were beyond our capabilities technical/ financial unfortunately
Such were the times ;bad red regime Wearing a us military jacket meant you were on the other side, you went against

here ; Our, my idol from those bad times; Z. Cybulski and M43 jacket in movie Popiół i diament ( Ash and diamond film director A. Wajda from 1958 y )

Attachments

• comment_JpmG1ksGjm2SE5tuQA5CyIAyuAjr1a2K.jpg
    comment_JpmG1ksGjm2SE5tuQA5CyIAyuAjr1a2K.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 148
Last edited: