• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

forum patch

oldskoolonly said:
SuinBruin said:
Love it! But instead of wielding a lightning bolt shouldn't Goofy be typing on a keyboard while squinting at the stitch details of an original 1940 Aero?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

+1 !!

As far as choosing, I guess maybe we let it run a while for other ideas and then set up a poll and vote? ;)

SuinBruin

Anyone here know Latin? We could add a motto...

Instead of "Death from Above" ("Mors ab Alto"), how about "Death to Wallet"? (According to google translate, "Peram Mortem.") Or "Death to Horses"? ("Equis Letum"?) "Dead Horse Society" is "Equus Mortuus Societatis." "Brotherhood of the Flying [Dead] Horse" = "Fraternitas Equitum [Mortuis] Volans."

Or maybe just straight up English... "Dead Horse Society" is good. Or "You Can't Beat a Dead Horse"?

Andrew

Slightly different angle- here's mine....

VLJpatch.jpg

SuinBruin

I am no good with art or photoshop but my proposal would be a horse skull from a head on perspective, with wings (maybe styled after a USAAF pilot badge), with "VLJ" above and a motto below ("Dead Horse Society" works for me).

jack aranda

Here is a variation on the basic theme:
"Old goats and wild horses" = olim equi feri hircos. That covers the bases for Navy jackets, as well. A bucking Bronco, back arched high, with a white-bearded goat hanging on for dear life?

zoomer

The 7th Bomb Group patch has been tossed around as an idea.
I've replaced the 3 Maltese crosses with hides in black/seal, chocolate, and russet.
5387733869_1df0510646_o.jpg

The motto is not good Latin, altho it may be a good pun.
How about CORIA DONATA PRO PATRIA (they gave their skins for their country)?

watchmanjimg

zoomer said:
The 7th Bomb Group patch has been tossed around as an idea.
I've replaced the 3 Maltese crosses with hides in black/seal, chocolate, and russet.
5387733869_1df0510646_o.jpg

The motto is not good Latin, altho it may be a good pun.
How about CORIUM EQUI PRO PATRIA?

I like this one! :lol:

zoomer

I may add an eagle pulling at a zipper.

More mottos:

SOCIETAS EQUI MORTUI = society of the dead horse
PRO EQUIS MORTUIS = for the dead horses

How about
IN SPE ET AQUA CALDA = in hope and hot water

grommet

004-1.jpg

Apologies to the American Beagle Squadron.
I put some clothes on the girl so as to be presentable to the relatives.
I chose the Pound sign because it is strong relative to the Dollar and the Euro and looks cooler.
The jacket is generic (but I hope recoginizable as an A-2).

unclegrumpy

I think you guys are really on to something!

dmar836's, DiamondDave's, oldskoolonly's, Andrew's and Grommet's patches are all outstanding...what a tough choice it would be to have to actually pick just one. Excellent work guys!

Zoomer's Group patch is also a home run. It however, leads me to the thought that if we have one...which I think we should....then we will need four Squadrons to properly form it.

We could then have an A-2 related Squadron (or two or three ???), a Navy G-1 related one, something Jet Age Nylon related, and still have room for one more....maybe with a RAF theme...how about VLJ No. 617 Squadron "The Wallet Busters" :shock:

art of a2

I've been thinking on this subject and the Blood chits comes to mind. We are all familar with it here on the forum. There is a rough translation to the wording which goes:

"I am an American pilot. I cannot speak your language. I am an enemy of the Japanese. If my airplane is destroyed have the kindness to protect me and to direct me to the closest allied post. The government of my country will recompense you"

Perhaps a blood chit and legend can be modified and correct Chinese characters obtained. Something like:

" I am a VJL member. I canot e-mail effectively. If my post gets lost please inform the forum moderator and protect me from spam. I am unwell and suffering from CJS Compulsive jacket syndrome. My jacket can fetch high prices but the price can go up as well as down"

Or words to that effect.. Just a thought

unclegrumpy

The problem I see with having a VLJ Blood Chit, is that would logically then lead to need for VLJ escape and evasion materials to go with it.

It is clear that many would relish the opportunity to discuss, assemble and arrange every bit that they felt should be included in a proper escape kit.

However, I for one, do not really want to hear any discussion related to escape routes, or god forbid, the creation of the maps that would be needed to follow them. What if that information fell into evil hands?

There is already enough problem at home keeping essential VLJ activities on a need to know basis and the "body count" and the real costs of war secret. The purpose of a Blood Chit is increase your chances of survival if you should end up on the ground in enemy territory, but I simply feel that it should be official VLJ policy to stay in the clouds. :D

If the group feels that it is unrealistic to stay aloft forever, then I offer something for those of us who need a Chit translated into the language of marriage:

"I am male. I cannot speak your language. I am not an enemy of your gender. If my fantasies are destroyed have the kindness to protect me and to direct me to the closest allied post, pub or sports event. The government of my country will recompense you or just blow you off and laugh at me" :shock:

art of a2

A very interesting idea. One which I see has provoked deep thought about the aspects of the blood chit. Your observations on the legend are most plausable. I feel this could benefit from further dicussion and hope that there are many more ideas to come forward.

JDAM

You could take inspiration from actual USAAF patches.

For example, 26 Pursuit, 30th, 370th, 500 Fighter. Or my personal favourite, 436th bombardment:

436bs7bg10afTN.jpg