• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FORUM DECORUM

Smithy

da3336e59c9a67ab4b8f12d208d95f2f.gif

CBI

Agreed Carl. I have been at the "its been a blast" phase for a while. Too easy to spend 30 seconds to look at cool pics but besides that it's pretty much gone to shit. Still planning on selling here someday when I want to move some jackets........that's all.

way too many egos who need to get a life. As I have said many times before, its just jackets, I mean really.

Smithy

It's very true when you say that it's just jackets.

I also do scale modelling and belong to a forum devoted to that, and apart from that (where an incredible amount of BS and histrionics goes on - trust me, psychiatrists would have a field day) I've never known another pastime/hobby/interest attract such ego and handbag waving. People here get pissed off at others because of a jacket and who makes them. Stop and think about that for a second...a jacket...

A PIECE OF CLOTHING.

If you can get pissed off about that, then actually you're doing pretty damn well, because if that's all you've got time to worry about and get worked up about, then life must be pretty peachy.

Seriously though, it's just clothing, yes people went to war and did brave things and looked cool in them (at least to us, I happen to think that most of the public actually think A-2s, Irvins, etc are pretty dorky looking and that we look dorky wearing them) but it's just some material sewn together to wear. I think a lot of the superiority that some people think about themselves in relation to this stuff is a lot of crap. Once again, it's just clothing - you're not cooler, better, superior because your jacket has this type of stitching, or this kind of leather, etc, etc, etc. Any normal person on the street would think we were half baked to begin with even being vaguely interested in old jackets that haven't been worn en masse for over half a century.

If you really want to know the truth, we are a bunch of dorky nerds interested in a dorky, nerdy subject (jackets) which is actually terribly uncool. There's absolutely no reason to get peed off with one another about the stupidest minutiae of a silly piece of clothing. Just be happy there's some other uncool dick interested in the same stupid thing.

Micawber

I also do scale modelling and belong to a forum devoted to that, and apart from that (where an incredible amount of BS and histrionics goes on - trust me, psychiatrists would have a field day) I've never known another pastime/hobby/interest attract such ego and handbag waving. People here get pissed off at others because of a jacket and who makes them. Stop and think about that for a second...a jacket...

A PIECE OF CLOTHING.

If you can get pissed off about that, then actually you're doing pretty damn well, because if that's all you've got time to worry about and get worked up about, then life must be pretty peachy.

Seriously though, it's just clothing, yes people went to war and did brave things and looked cool in them (at least to us, I happen to think that most of the public actually think A-2s, Irvins, etc are pretty dorky looking and that we look dorky wearing them) but it's just some material sewn together to wear. I think a lot of the superiority that some people think about themselves in relation to this stuff is a lot of crap. Once again, it's just clothing - you're not cooler, better, superior because your jacket has this type of stitching, or this kind of leather, etc, etc, etc. Any normal person on the street would think we were half baked to begin with even being vaguely interested in old jackets that haven't been worn en masse for over half a century.

If you really want to know the truth, we are a bunch of dorky nerds interested in a dorky, nerdy subject (jackets) which is actually terribly uncool. There's absolutely no reason to get peed off with one another about the stupidest minutiae of a silly piece of clothing. Just be happy there's some other uncool dick interested in the same stupid thing.

Well said Tim.

I have some admin and mod experience and my view is much of the trouble and strife on forums boils down to one thing - ego. No matter what the subject the urge to prove and be seen to have superior knowledge / seen more / done more / spend more / have the best / done it for longer than most / prove those with differing ideas are wrong / is seemingly irresistible in some.

When there appears to be a coordinated return of individuals who were previously banned who outwardly appear to have something of a bee in their bonnet it's no wonder some ego's get ruffled. If all the above are combined with a somewhat lacklustre hand on the tiller it's no surprise some can't be arsed and are drifting away.

Last edited:

Southoftheborder

A PIECE OF CLOTHING.

If you really want to see ego in action join a hi fi forum. Lots of golden eared members telling each other that their systems are crap and they don't know how to listen properly. And the trade members rip each other to shreds and talk each other's products down. The spats here between makers are gentlemanly by comparison.

Officer Dibley

Well said Tim.
When there appears to be a coordinated return of individuals who were previously banned who outwardly appear to have something of a bee in their bonnet it's no wonder some ego's get ruffled. If all the above are combined with a somewhat lacklustre hand on the tiller it's no surprise some can't be arsed and are drifting away.

Bang on as always Steve ( & Tim)

We have moderators ?? Well they sure as shit never moderate the behaviour so what do they do ??

B-Man2

Ok ...I’m back and I’ve got an opinion here.
Pretty much along the lines of what was said above. All this drama, ( the new drama, not the old usual stuff) is all relatively new crap initiated by a couple of new??members who seem to thrive and energize themselves by creating conflict and controversy. They Love this sort of crap because it gets them their 30 seconds of attention and lets them vent their grievances toward whoever their target is for that moment in time . So... how do you deal with that BS ?? It’s simple .... just shut them out. When they start their shit, just don’t respond ... dont reply to anything they write . Nothing....NOTHING.... good or bad, just shut them out until they either give up and leave or they realize that we will no longer tolerate their nasty ass shit!! When someone tells you how great they are and how they should be the arbiter of what’s right and what’s wrong with a jacket, the design , how messed up we are on this forum because for the one thousandth time we discussed fit.....,, Just dont respond . Let his ass just dangle out there in the wind. Don’t give him anything, eventually people like this strive for a response , an acknowledgement that their opinion counts.
when they realize no one cares ... see what happens. And by the way , I‘LL operate under the same principal, If you don’t like what I post then just don’t respond ...

Last edited:

Garylafortuna

Just as the Canterbury Tales are really more about the journey and the people on this pilgrimage than about Canterbury itself, the same holds true for our situation. The vehicle here on VLJ is of course jackets, but upon a more discerning glance, it is really all about the people and their opinions about these jackets. It is the human nature that we who are concerned cannot change, on this or any other forum.
We are impaled by nature upon all those prongs of dark resolve which make such deeds possible.

Smithy

After all the hoofluff that's gone on of late, I've actually decided to have an "Ignore Amnesty" and decided to take everyone who was on my Ignore list off for a clean slate (not that I had many on, only three and one had already been kicked off the forum).

Tabula rasa as the learned philosophers and head waggers would say. Generally I think most people on here mean well and sometimes with only the written word to guide you and language differences wires can get crossed. Mind you if anyone is a dick from now on, I'll have no qualms about booting them off to the town in the west Midlands thing again ;-)