• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FORUM DECORUM

Garylafortuna

Escalation of abusive and violent verbal conflict here on VLJ is certainly a fact. It is evident that because some of us prefer to express our opinions in a more confrontational manner, it would be a mistake to ban everyone who does so. The thought occurred to me that a new subheading titled ‘Disputes’, or ‘Shit Disturbers' Corner’, or some such appropriate moniker could be added by the forum owners. So when a thread becomes abusive and tempers are at the fore, the thread is moved at the discretion of the controllers, to this bad ass section where they can have at it with impunity. For the folks among us who prefer a little less aggression and a little more decorum, they can simply by pass this section, or not. Suggestions welcome from both sides of this dilemma. This is by no means a conclusive solution. I’m just a concerned citizen of the VLJ community who is embracing an awareness that the battle between the intellect and the ego is alive and well.

B-Man2

Gary
With all due respect
I would disagree with this idea. Here’s why; This forum is supposed to be a place where information is shared, we learn from each other and we live vicariously through the photos, the stories and the jackets we have and share with each other. We all share a common hobby, and while we sometimes disagree with each other, it’s usually done with free spirited debate, not “fuck you” and “kiss my ass” etc. Why reach down and put up a thread that not only condones that stuff but makes a place for it on this forum. I get why you’re suggesting this ... it seems that in the last few weeks the dialogue here has gotten to the point where we have a couple of battles each week. This is really a departure from what most of us here are comfortable with, so once again I get it. But if a couple of guys can’t seem to pull it together, let them have a go at each other on private messenger. No one can see it but the participants. I guarantee that once the audience element is removed from the confrontation, it won’t be worth continuing , because no one will see it. Most people, again I say most people here, would prefer this place to be a “drama free “
environment. They come here to get away from the stress of work or business or home life to chill out and enjoy their hobby. I mean at the end of the day, this is simply about jackets. If someone really needs the drama and confrontation, then let them join a political forum where they can let “Fuck You’s” fly with impunity and be highly thought of by those with a similar mentality and purpose. Just my 2cents worth.
Cheers

Last edited:

Micawber

To my mind if individuals cannot communicate and convey their views and opinions without resorting to abusive and insulting language then they are not worth bothering with. Why should additional playground space be made available for those who lack self control and restraint and constantly let rip like a petulant teenager with a poor grasp of language and vocabulary.

The novelty of multiple "fuck you's" soon wears thin. Those that constantly hurl insults about just get placed in my personal Cockwomble / twat/ wanker file and added to the ignore list.

And yes I can give as well as I get - and more - in terms of insults and swearing but I keep that to the real world. Typing out insults online is akin to pissing in the wind.

Last edited:

Silver Surfer

a thought occurred to me last night, and that is, that there a few "newbies" showing up here within the last couple of months with very similar writing patterns, and i wondered if they are a group of or an individual troll . the vitriol comes with their [his] first post,, and usually accompanied with pix of some crappy jacket. dunno about you guys and gals, but i see a pattern. as to giving them [him] their own "shit" corner imo is just aquiescing to the lowest common denominator. dunno why the line is running through the post.

silvio76

a thought occurred to me last night, and that is, that there a few "newbies" showing up here within the last couple of months with very similar writing patterns, and i wondered if they are a group of or an individual troll . the vitriol comes with their [his] first post,, and usually accompanied with pix of some crappy jacket. dunno about you guys and gals, but i see a pattern. as to giving them [him] their own "shit" corner imo is just aquiescing to the lowest common denominator. dunno why the line is running through the post.
Poor old Silver Surfer. Nice and polite, man who would not make fun of other members, and who would not change his post after my normal answer on his claims, just to insult other. Unbelievably!!

Silver Surfer

ahhhh......now i remember. silvio, youre the guy that wrote that i should, "fu-- some boys or girls. sorry, od, and other members, but i will not let this kinda crap pass.

Garylafortuna

Thank you Burt, your logic is rock solid. Can you imagine the control folks having to hire a dozen more people and they in turn would be working 24/7 just moving bad asses from the various sub forums to the new
'Disputes' section. This idea definitely has a few holes.
Are you familiar with the story of two crusty old philosophers Burt and Gary discussing the meaning of it all.
Burt, if Atlas holds up the world, what holds up Atlas?
Gary, Atlas stands on the back of a turtle.
What then does that turtle stand on?
On the back of another turtle.
And what does that turtle stand on Burt?
Gary, it's turtles all the way down.

silvio76

apology accepted, silvio.
You have to do what you advise me, reread my posts. Hope that would not be to hard for you. I would not change my previous post, like you did. And one more thing, do that again i you will get same answer. OK?

Last edited:

silvio76

from the guy that wrote that i should "go fu__ some boys or girls"
Yes, i told you that, and you know the reason why. I am not guilty because you are old and can not do some things. I understand your frustration, maybe i will be like you for a few decades. But that does not means that i am ready to be victim for your frustrations and snobism. Sorry!
Respect others.
Hope i was not rude this time.

Last edited: