• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For Those of Us Who Can’t Commit….. Double Sided Tape Could Be The Answer.

B-Man2

When it comes to patching my jackets I have a tough time deciding on which jackets to patch AND … what patches to use. For me it’s a challenge and once I do patch … in a few months I wish I would have used “the other” patch option.
Enter double sided tape. I’ve found that I can now patch my jackets using double sided tape. The double sided tape let’s me wear a patch for about a month or two before it needs to be changed out and also let’s me change patches anytime I want thereby satisfying my obsessive /compulsive disorder. However, before you give it a try, make sure you do a bit of research and find a two sided tape that doesn’t use the soft and gummy adhesive on the tape as it will adhere to your jacket and require a bit of work to get it off. Instead find a tape that has good adhesive quality without the gummy factor. By changing the tape monthly you will avoid leaving some of it on the jacket. Here’s a photo of my 37J1 USN jacket with a USN Top Hatters VF-1/VF-14 patch that I recently replaced with a USN Torpedo Squadron VT-60 patch today.
So if you’re like me and you can’t commit… give double sided tape a try, just remember three things
1. Replace the tape monthly
2. Never use the gummy adhesive type tape.
3. Use only the minimal amount of tape necessary to hold the patch on, this is a case where “less is better”.
So enjoy your jackets and patch away :)

2E827FCD-33A9-4A17-9B6E-AC537AE812B6.jpeg

24B9AF82-F42E-4CED-9307-621B3530D980.jpeg

39768DF2-E94C-4E6C-A5E0-DC26C59FF280.jpeg

Attachments

• 83C1C70D-023C-444A-808C-208165053FE6.jpeg
    83C1C70D-023C-444A-808C-208165053FE6.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 96

Tattoo A2

I know how you feel Burt, after Im done painting a new patch I wanna sew it right on one of my jackets, but then start thinking about the other 40 patches that might be better, so I talk myself out of the new one, tape on another older one, take that off a day later and thank the leather gods I didnt sew one on to begin with,lol...

Chandler

Well, someone used DST on a patch to hold it in place on an old ELC RW 27752 I had -- he removed the patch and it pulled the finish right off the hide. :confused:

My original intention was to patch over it, but the jacket was always too big for me. Fortunately, my buyer was planning the same thing and really likes his new jacket. :)

B-Man2

Well, someone used DST on a patch to hold it in place on an old ELC RW 27752 I had -- he removed the patch and it pulled the finish right off the hide. :confused:

My original intention was to patch over it, but the jacket was always too big for me. Fortunately, my buyer was planning the same thing and really likes his new jacket. :)
I could see that happening...its one of the reasons I use as little of the tape to accomplish the job as possible. I find that strips about 1 inch long and 1/4 inch wide at the 12, 3, 6, and 9 O'clock positions along the outer edges of the patch work best. When removing the patch take it off very slowly, being careful not to yank or rip it off.

Last edited:

Chandler

I could see that happening...its one of the reasons I use as little of the tape to accomplish the job as possible. I find that strips about 1 inch long and 1/4 inch wide at the 12, 3, 6, and 9 O'clock positions along the outer edges of the patch work best.
The strips on my jacket were horizontal to the jacket, and only 2 at the top and bottom (again, they looked to be used to hold the patch in place while stitching it to the jacket), but man -- did they do some damage.

All that said, this was probably the late 90s, early 2000s -- so who knows what DST was like back then?

Pa12

When it comes to patching my jackets I have a tough time deciding on which jackets to patch AND … what patches to use. For me it’s a challenge and once I do patch … in a few months I wish I would have used “the other” patch option.
Enter double sided tape. I’ve found that I can now patch my jackets using double sided tape. The double sided tape let’s me wear a patch for about a month or two before it needs to be changed out and also let’s me change patches anytime I want thereby satisfying my obsessive /compulsive disorder. However, before you give it a try, make sure you do a bit of research and find a two sided tape that doesn’t use the soft and gummy adhesive on the tape as it will adhere to your jacket and require a bit of work to get it off. Instead find a tape that has good adhesive quality without the gummy factor. By changing the tape monthly you will avoid leaving some of it on the jacket. Here’s a photo of my 37J1 USN jacket with a USN Top Hatters VF-1/VF-14 patch that I recently replaced with a USN Torpedo Squadron VT-60 patch today.
So if you’re like me and you can’t commit… give double sided tape a try, just remember three things
3. Use only the minimal amount of tape necessary to hold the patch on, this is a case where “less is better”.

View attachment 81660

View attachment 81661

View attachment 81663
Good idea. If you can find the good stuff it last. Any time you fly commercially, that’s what’s holding the carpet down under your feet.

CombatWombat

Well I've never had the urge to badge any of my jackets..... except one police jacket that had the worst "demill" I've ever seen (sliced the patches off and half the leather with it!)
That one I badged up with Star Wars patches lol

Pa12

Good idea. If you can find the good stuff it last. Any time you fly commercially, that’s what’s holding the carpet down under your feet.

View attachment 81660

View attachment 81661

View attachment 81663
This is the carpet tape I was referring to. It’s very thin so you probably can’t tell it’s there when applied. It will never leave any residue. Not sure where to get it as mine was “acquired “ from work.
759826A5-0AA5-4501-B6C1-815520B784E3.jpeg
4D1A1165-C373-48AE-8CF2-6303C19DDE08.jpeg
BC19259F-9706-4558-B57A-C907009D218A.jpeg

flyincowboy

It's not a rumour found evidence of double sided tape on my AERO B3 on the zipper Tape. Will do the same thing when changing the zipper. Tape wilL hold the stuff in place when stitching is done.

Last edited: