• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flying jacket Accessories or Style.

Chris 55

Having got the Ace's High flying jacket.
I've started thinking more about what to wear with it style wise.
First thing is probably going to be the submariners jumper very similar to the Raf frock not perfect but close.
Then gloves thinking possibly 1933 pattern flying gloves.
Hat wise I'm not sure where to go looking for ideas.

Attachments

• 1994be04e71cb6aa_raf st zip p2 copy.jpg
    1994be04e71cb6aa_raf st zip p2 copy.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 134
  • submariners-sweater (1).jpg
    submariners-sweater (1).jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 125

B-Man2

Having got the Ace's High flying jacket.
I've started thinking more about what to wear with it style wise.
First thing is probably going to be the submariners jumper very similar to the Raf frock not perfect but close.
Then gloves thinking possibly 1933 pattern flying gloves.
Hat wise I'm not sure where to go looking for ideas.
Hi Chris
All of them are nice choices if you’re reenacting , but honestly, for general everyday where , there’s sort of a line there where you can overdo it with the gauntlet gloves and hat and this and that... Sometimes just the jacket alone is enough to draw a few stares and compliments . As always this is just my opinion and others may disagree.

Lord Flashheart

OK I'll 'fess up I've got myself some gauntlet gloves to got with my Aero RAF jacket. Bit spur of the moment and I'm not doing the re-enacting thing either. We'll see if they work out ... I have other gloves that I reach for first... but let's see how winter goes.

B-Man2

Ok ... I’ll fess up too Flash:rolleyes: . I have a pair as well . I wore them a couple of times and I looked like a tool . ( once again , just my opinion). They were cumbersome and looked ridiculous every time I had to reach into my pocket or pull out money or a credit card , I had to go through the drill of un zipping the glove , taking the glove off , getting the money out , putting the glove back on , struggling with the long zipper . All the while the sales girl is looking at me like “ what the hell are you dressed up for ?” But ... I guess everyone has to experience that for themselves .

Lord Flashheart

Yep, that sounds familiar B-Man ;)... for a walk in the winter countryside though I'll not give up yet.

Of course I'm in no position to comment on your points for style in them ... I'm sure you'd carry it off whatever...

busdrivermike

Brown Gauntlets like that would look good with my A2 or G1
Would be stylish and useful accessory on my motorcycle :cool:

917_k

I too would personally avoid the gauntlet gloves. In my opinion, and it is merely my opinion, flight jackets like the Irvin, B3, A2 etc worn in a fancy dress style (i.e. with all the other period military issue clobber) look pretty lame unless you're doing re-enactment or something. The Irvin is a pretty thick warm jacket, so unless it's freezing you aren't going to need loads of layers underneath, worn with a plain t-shirt and jeans is going to look pretty cool. The submariner would look decent as well, but as I said, you might get a bit warm in all but the most freezing conditions.

These chaps are pulling the Irvin off pretty well:

19102b1ac20235104cf9d6268fc7dfcf.jpg

CBI

enjoy your Aces High jacket. IMHO, if you add the other stuff, its going to make you look like you are wearing a costume.

Chris 55

I too would personally avoid the gauntlet gloves. In my opinion, and it is merely my opinion, flight jackets like the Irvin, B3, A2 etc worn in a fancy dress style (i.e. with all the other period military issue clobber) look pretty lame unless you're doing re-enactment or something. The Irvin is a pretty thick warm jacket, so unless it's freezing you aren't going to need loads of layers underneath, worn with a plain t-shirt and jeans is going to look pretty cool. The submariner would look decent as well, but as I said, you might get a bit warm in all but the most freezing conditions.

These chaps are pulling the Irvin off pretty well:

View attachment 48362
I will never have that much style

Micawber

I have genuine gauntlet that stay safe at base, I have repro's to wear driving the Jeep should the weather or fancy take me but would I wear full fig WW2 gear on a daily basis? Actually that to me would be going beyond style and into something quite, quite different.

Thankfully we are all individuals and can do what we choose.

"It's a squadron scramble Sir!

Don't be wet, get me the duty controller, we've only just landed and still refueling, tell control..."

Battle Of Britain film, 1968.

Last edited: