• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flight Jacket worn by Steve Mcqueen!

Jameelur

Hello everyone,

What kind of jacket worn Steve Mcqueen in this picture?
Is this WW2 official officer flight jacket or just custom made for a movie?

Thanks in advance.
Jameel Ur
THE-RAKE-STEVE-MCQUEEN-1-2.jpg

Silver Surfer

it is generally considered to be an original rough wear contract [there is some debate as to which contract] that had been depot redyed, and reissued. rumor has it that the McQueen jacket is now owned by a collector in Japan. on a side note, if you go to the Eastman leather or the bill Kelso site, you will see reproductions of this jacket

mulceber

The McQueen jacket you posted above is an A-2 jacket. That particular A-2 jacket was made for the U.S. Military during WW2 by Rough Wear Clothing Company. My point is that jacket aficianados obsess over the details of A-2 jackets in general, and Rough Wears are a particular favorite, so this is a particularly difficult jacket to do well and expectations for it are exacting, at least on the VLJ.

Jameelur

As you guys know, I'm a new here and learning about flight jackets.
Although I made few flight jackets but when I saw in detailed so came to know particular A-2 flight jackets are different than ordinary internet jackets.
After joining VLJ, Im seeing many great jackets and their history.
I thoughts it's normal leather jacket work but now, I was wrong.
I saw on Instagram, a US based company developing flight jackets with some painting, like bomb, aircrafts and some patches.
I'll develop my own A-2 flight jacket and will make sure it must be as original and distressed.
Your critic, your suggestions are highly appreciated.

Thanks,

B-Man2

You will find that it’s going to be a difficult task , filled with much frustration , but don’t give up… eventually you will get there and learn a great deal along the way. Keep in mind that the things like zippers , snaps, linings, labels, and collar and pocket shapes are just as important as the front and the back of the jacket . Stay the course and the people from VLJ will help you get there.
( Actually … we do that a lot );)

Silver Surfer

may I suggest that before you even think about distressing hides or painting the backs, start at the beginning. make sample a-2s in horse hide, goatskin, and or cow hides. also, see if you can source correct liner material, in the correct weight and color, snaps, and zippers. easy? no, as the people that make reproduction a-2s will tell you.

johnwayne

Just for my two pennies worth also, as Silversurfer suggests, perfect the jacket making process first. The top tier repro makers today all started making a generic/house style first and probably exactly how the original makers back in the 30/40’s started even though they were supposed to be working from the same pattern! Any subtle variances between the 18-20 makers back then were probably not intentional but as far as the military or even the ‘man on the street’ today, they were/are identical enough! Most on this forum I’m sure would agree that it’s as much about finding the perfect fit and the perfection of the finish/quality that is paramount.
One other matter re painted jackets! As great as they are/look and represent history, they have limited appeal. Think you might find a survey of members here would see only a small percentage actually own and wear one? I’ve only ever seen them at airshows!! God luck with your venture.

Brettafett

The only way you can hope to have any success with this, is to find a beat up original A-2 from WW2
It may take some work to find one, and will cost a bit, but you will need this is be able to copy the pattern correctly.
To be able to is=nspect the details, the nuances and how its been put together.

These jackets were created back in the 30s and 40s and the way they were patterned and made (materials aside) is very different to the modern 'bomber' renditions today.
You simply cannot copy these jackets by eye or from photos, and expect to be taken seriously by anyone who knows anything about these jackets.

AVI Leather and Five Star have been through this same process over the last couple of years.