• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flight Jacket Books

Flightengineer

Art of the Flight Jacket is a great book. Never get tired of paging through it.

Undoubtedly!
But today I finally got American Flight Jackets, Airmen & Aircraft: A History of U.S. Flyers' Jackets from World War I to Desert Storm. (Thanks to Thomas!)
And I want to say that I liked her even more.
There will be something to do, looking at beautiful photos at sunset career.

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Undoubtedly!
But today I finally got American Flight Jackets, Airmen & Aircraft: A History of U.S. Flyers' Jackets from World War I to Desert Storm. (Thanks to Thomas!)
And I want to say that I liked her even more.
There will be something to do, looking at beautiful photos at sunset career.
I’ve seen that one on ebay, any good info??

Saint-ex

Ohh no, they aren’t in order, I bought mine in US, just random numbers.
I confirm, just received mine...

London Cabbie

Do you know the reasoning behind why they were issued white...?

I never knew that, but thought they were sand because of the desert theatre.

Smithy

Do you know the reasoning behind why they were issued white...?

I never knew that, but thought they were sand because of the desert theatre.

I don't know the reasoning why they were but the very first SAS berets were white. The colour was not used for long as it was very visible when off duty in Cairo and there were a lot of fights which broke out with other military personnel making rude remarks like "snow drops" because of the white beret. It was changed after a fairly short time and hence why genuine, original white SAS berets are so unbelievably rare.

Flightengineer

I really don't understand how the book about the uniforms of the SS who were involved in genocide and guilty of the gravest crimes during WWII against civilians has to do with flight jackets and books about flight jackets.

mulceber

I really don't understand how the book about the uniforms of the SS who were involved in genocide and guilty of the gravest crimes during WWII against civilians has to do with flight jackets and books about flight jackets.

I was thinking something similar. Seems like an insult to the other soldiers just to have a book about the Waffen-SS on the same shelf.

ausreenactor

The Osprey Men at Arms series is usually very good Cabbie and excellent value.

The SAS one reminds me of one of my Holy Grails of militaria which I would love to have - an original, genuine first issue SAS beret in white. Pretty much rarer than unicorn dung.

Unicorn dung, Guardsman's shit.. Rare = Value.

I am collecting the wrong stuff!

Smithy

Unicorn dung, Guardsman's shit.. Rare = Value.

I am collecting the wrong stuff!

I saw a very early issue (think 1942) tan SAS beret go for £22,000 (no I'm not kidding) earlier this year.

Now on the back of that just imagine what a genuine SAS white beret might go for at auction...

In terms of the Waffen-SS books and stuff, I can't stand the bastards so you won't catch me shelling out money for a book on the pricks, but what others choose to read is their own business.