• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fixing Mouton Fur on M-69 Jacket

917_k

Hi All,

I've acquired a beautiful example of an M-69 Air Transport Coat in very good condition (will post up some photos), apart from the mouton fur which has started to come away on the base of collar and I wondered whether there is an solution to sticking this back down?

I know this is a weak spot with any mouton fur collar jackets; I've got a 57' Cagleco G1 where the fur has worn away here. Fortunately on this jacket the fur is still mostly present, its just the backing has deteriorated.

View media item 922
Many thanks,

Rob

robrinay

It could be museum bug - it can cause this type of slippage. On the other hand it might just be a fungal rot or just drying out. Either way you’d be advised to replace the Mouton as the only sure way of returning the coat to good condition. You’ll be able to source vintage Mouton perhaps in a thrift/charity store in on eBay in the shape of an old ‘fur coat’. Be careful to check that it’s made of large enough pieces to make up the collar as sometimes they’re made of smaller pieces invisibly stitched together.

Micawber

I would not bother attempting to patch and stick as that will not arrest the rot / drying process. As the others have said your best course is to go for replacement.

Bombing IP

Replace it , have Aero do it they will have the correct shade and color that alone will take the hassle and the disappointment out of some one else doing it wrong .

BIP

robrinay

Ps museum bug - generic term used by some taxidermists for a variety of creatures that consume fur leather skins silk wool etc. Included are Moths, Weevils, Bed Bugs and a variety of beetles.

Silver Surfer

if you are considering wearing the jacket with those bugs in it, dont. they will get in your hair, climb down your follicles and begin boring into your scalp. they then make their way into your skull and on into your brain. the end result is your brain begins to look like the pictured collar above. even the zombies will not want your brain when the bugs are through with it.

Last edited:

Micawber

if you are considering wearing the jacket with those bugs in it, dont. they will get in your hair, climb down your follicles and begin boring intoo your scalp. they then make their way into your skull and on into your brain. the end result is your brain begins to look like the pictured collar above. even the zombies will not want your brain when the bugs are through with it.

The very same ones that fall out of your ears onto your collar so everyone thinks you have a bad attack of dandruff.