Fixing Mouton Fur on M-69 Jacket

Discussion in 'Care / Preservation' started by 917_k, Mar 12, 2019 at 11:44 AM.

1. 917_k

917_k New Member

Hi All,

I've acquired a beautiful example of an M-69 Air Transport Coat in very good condition (will post up some photos), apart from the mouton fur which has started to come away on the base of collar and I wondered whether there is an solution to sticking this back down?

I know this is a weak spot with any mouton fur collar jackets; I've got a 57' Cagleco G1 where the fur has worn away here. Fortunately on this jacket the fur is still mostly present, its just the backing has deteriorated.

Many thanks,

Rob

2. robrinay

robrinay Active Member

It could be museum bug - it can cause this type of slippage. On the other hand it might just be a fungal rot or just drying out. Either way you’d be advised to replace the Mouton as the only sure way of returning the coat to good condition. You’ll be able to source vintage Mouton perhaps in a thrift/charity store in on eBay in the shape of an old ‘fur coat’. Be careful to check that it’s made of large enough pieces to make up the collar as sometimes they’re made of smaller pieces invisibly stitched together.

3. Flightengineer

Flightengineer Well-Known Member

Replacement only

Pilot likes this.
  4. Micawber

Micawber Well-Known Member

I would not bother attempting to patch and stick as that will not arrest the rot / drying process. As the others have said your best course is to go for replacement.

5. MeachamLake

MeachamLake Well-Known Member

@Ken at Aero Leather would happily take on the job of adding a new collar on, I'm sure? Aero has done some top restoration work on G-1/M422 jackets in the past.

6. Bombing IP

Bombing IP Well-Known Member

Replace it , have Aero do it they will have the correct shade and color that alone will take the hassle and the disappointment out of some one else doing it wrong .

BIP

7. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Well-Known Member

if you are in the us of a, steve sellers, or dave sheeley can replace the fur. both are experts. both are on the vlj.

8. robrinay

robrinay Active Member

Ps museum bug - generic term used by some taxidermists for a variety of creatures that consume fur leather skins silk wool etc. Included are Moths, Weevils, Bed Bugs and a variety of beetles.

Micawber likes this.
  9. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Well-Known Member

if you are considering wearing the jacket with those bugs in it, dont. they will get in your hair, climb down your follicles and begin boring into your scalp. they then make their way into your skull and on into your brain. the end result is your brain begins to look like the pictured collar above. even the zombies will not want your brain when the bugs are through with it.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 1:22 PM
    robrinay and Flightengineer like this.
  10. Micawber

Micawber Well-Known Member

The very same ones that fall out of your ears onto your collar so everyone thinks you have a bad attack of dandruff.

robrinay likes this.