• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FiveStar Visky Crunch

WingAndaPrayer

Hey gang, here’s the new visky crunch horsehide. It’s the 2779 DuBow, so I’m not going to do a lengthy review. There’s enough dubow reviews I’m not sure what I could possibly add. This is just a quick commentary on the leather quality.

The hide is a little stiff, but it’s straight out of the box so will loosen up with wear. It has excellent graining and mismatched panels. The color is a nice russet and the new mid brown knits are much improved over the last(year ago) ones I had.

The cons: it has a fake aged look to it with dark spots and splotches.

What do you all think?

ECEFC6C1-B2FA-4A0B-A570-F474AAD6E739.jpeg
218813EB-66CD-4128-B164-8488F769A0D0.jpeg
02BCE0E5-F634-4536-9BD5-84DB35230E07.jpeg
8E557B0E-60E5-41DE-ACCA-3431E6D9F1AB.jpeg
64C310DD-850C-40B7-A246-51C3DEB8F314.jpeg
84DD6F6A-BB4F-499C-953C-7A4CC0532BCA.jpeg
D0F5F36A-1E05-4B53-BC5E-5BDCB465E89C.jpeg
33570CF5-B28A-4DC6-BE26-4B794507B4DF.jpeg

Dany McDonald

Hi,

The fake look doesn't bother me at all. From my desktop its doesn't look too artificial or overdone. I also like the skin, mismatched panels are a nice to see. It could develop a lot of character with time and wear but who knows for now as its a guessing game, its a bit early and five star is pretty new. Its all to you and how you wear it!

Keep us posted.

D

Chandler

The pebbled grain on horsehide is pretty interesting -- and full of character.

My ELC Star steerhide (at least I think it's steerhide) has similar pebbled grain -- almost like goatskin.

johnwayne

Hmm…mixed views really, the grain looks ok but the ‘scaring’ would bother me I think and whilst maybe not a big issue for some, a repaired hole in a new jacket is poor. They should have told you and/or knocked something off the price?
Given a bit of wear it might age quite nice though!

daw

It does look pretty pebbly; do you suppose this is treated to make it look like that, or maybe it's goat and not really horsehide?

busdrivermike

I absolutely love the color and character of that leather especially the scars
They appear to be natural ones
I generally dislike jackets made to look used but this is
Done really well.
Were I to consider ordering a jacket I definitely would want mismatched
Hides from the roughest and ugliest of the heard, the evil knievels most
Accident prone members of the heard
I would look forward to seeing pics after some regular wear for a month or two

Last edited:

MikeyB-17

The hide I quite like, but the hole in the knit is not on, and this is something that Five Star just don’t seem to get. It just isn’t acceptable to have something like that on a new jacket. If there’s a hole, that bit of knit isn’t any good, you don’t just stitch it up and bung it out. If you haven’t got the right knits, or collar mouton, or whatever, it isn’t acceptable to just use what you have got, and expect the customer not to notice. It’s quality control issues like this that they really need to get sorted.

WingAndaPrayer

The hide I quite like, but the hole in the knit is not on, and this is something that Five Star just don’t seem to get. It just isn’t acceptable to have something like that on a new jacket. If there’s a hole, that bit of knit isn’t any good, you don’t just stitch it up and bung it out. If you haven’t got the right knits, or collar mouton, or whatever, it isn’t acceptable to just use what you have got, and expect the customer not to notice. It’s quality control issues like this that they really need to get sorted.
I agree. I’m a little dissatisfied with the hole in the knit.