• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fivestar released the 37J1 Jacket

Peter242

Hi all,

as Shawn just released his Version of the 37J1 Jacket - it would like to hear some options.

As a bigger guy the Version of RMC etc would not fit me - so i´ve waited quite a time to get my hands on a 37J1......

12.JPG

Peter242

Also i think the proportion of the pockets are not quite correct. They look a bit slimmer and longer.....and RMZ mention that the lining is sateen. But i´m in no way an expert.

Chandler

Looks like he used a heavy weight cotton/ twill material rather than a Bedford Cord but for the price point I get why he did that .
So, is this the same model jacket Willis & Geiger used to sell (back in the 80s) -- made in Bedford Cord?

I had one of those for a while -- bought it on closeout and was just too big.

Felt self-conscious wearing it because it had USN in dark letters stenciled on the front. I was living near Great Lakes Naval Training Base and used to get "Are you in the Navy?"

Not too sure whose version is more authentic, but the W&G was more khaki in color and monotone between body and knits.

I might have some archived pics...

Chandler

So, is this the same model jacket Willis & Geiger used to sell (back in the 80s) -- made in Bedford Cord?

I might have some archived pics...
After some research into old records and receipts I found the (digital) paper trail for selling my W&G "NA-1." Was that a real designation, or something W&G made up?

FWIW -- I sold the jacket back in 2008 to a VLJ member... wonder if he still owns it?

Herr @ties70 ? :D

ties70

After some research into old records and receipts I found the (digital) paper trail for selling my W&G "NA-1." Was that a real designation, or something W&G made up?

FWIW -- I sold the jacket back in 2008 to a VLJ member... wonder if he still owns it?

Herr @ties70 ? :D

That was you?!

The jacket has moved on... To my Dad, who has sold it, while we were in Spain. A shame, as it was a cool jacket and I would have taken it back, but I was thinking about a different W&G, when he told me he was going to sell "my old Navy jacket"...

Ties

Chandler

That was you?!
:D

Yep. Had the same handle back then.

My records show it was delivered to you in Baltimore -- I seem to remember you were visiting someone here in the U.S.

Any pictures kicking around? I have a hard drive full of files where I may have images, but it's on the blink and may be beyond recovery. :confused:

Thomas Koehle

I ordered one in 44 - first time i ordered a jacket "off the shelf" at Fivestar

i changed the buttons and gave her 3 rounds in the washer to achieve a somehow "used" look

The jacket itself is heavier then the BRONSON repop i own and as far as i understood Shawn is made from the same material like his B10 jackets. Means "material-wise" not as accurate othe than that i really like the jacket

e6oWdhW.jpg

Fgrgeo2.jpg

JHyeIZu.jpg

zoomer

Made up. AIUI no one outside Japan knew anything about the cloth 37J1, or cared to sort thru the National Archives to get the spec. W & G honcho Burt Avedon, a former naval aviator himself, simply sketched up a jacket from a very few old pictures and dubbed it "NA-1."

One such pic was apparently a North-Bilt contract. Its notable for the fine silkscreen marking and extra high stormflap. Sadly the rest of W & G's product wasn't up to snuff.

9AC90BD4-2D53-426C-B233-ABFC1CA7FF67.jpeg

Last edited: