• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fivestar M-421a

Cyril

Certainly a bit late and cold for that, but spring/summer will certainly come.
I received this one from Fivestar some days ago. It got altered after a first one i ordered looked like a tent on me - just too skinny. The collar was reduced a little in height and got lowered, more pointy tips. Details i think i saw in vintage photos/ other contracts. The guys at FS were extremely helpful and constructive.
Finally it lost a bit of the original shape as i asked for it to be slimmer. May the flight-jacket-heritage-gods forgive me :)

P1100322.jpg
P1100331.jpg

johnwayne

Not wishing to appear negative but those pocket flaps look pretty deep/big IMHO. Similarly the collar, albeit once worn and softened a bit that might settle or lay flatter!

Cyril

Hey there,
no problem,
the collar was reduced in size, i think by itself this is quite alright. It is a bit a question of general proportion. As i wanted to reduce the jackets measurments to fit my body the pockets have been slightly reduced in width by FS, to reduced their hight/the flaps height would of course have helped to regain the proportion of the pocket a bit better.
As for the collar i think you get effects that give optical deception. My slim shoulders probably makes it look larger. Added a picture of a vintage one for the collar and took another picture of mine that might give another effect (or not) :)
Lets see what the next ten flights in the washing-machine adds to it.
Cheers
Cyril

Bildschirmfoto 2022-11-27 um 17.20.31.png

P1100335.JPG
P1100336.JPG

Not wishing to appear negative but those pocket flaps look pretty deep/big IMHO. Similarly the collar, albeit once worn and softened a bit that might settle or lay flatter!

Last edited:

Cyril

might be the nicest 5* offering ive seen to date.
yes, i think they did a good job there. As i described i had ordered a first one that was too large for me. The only thing i regret a bit is that for the one above they changed the thread-colour for unknown reason (mistake?) and used a darker one. A bit afraid the thread will be appearing too dark the more the cloth's colour will fade by washing. Though, a bit of nagging here. For the comparatively low price, you get a good jacket whose details you can determine to a large extent.

Cyril

What do you think of the quality of the fabric?
Hey there, the fabric is nice, though i believe the twill 5S is using is a little thicker than the poplin fabric originals were made of. Compared to pictures of originals 5Ss color is also a little darker. Mine got lighter in color by washing it (quite often ;))
All in all a fine jacket. I'd recommend to buy it.
P1100949.jpg

zoomer

My ‘421s are Willis & Geiger of their close woven Bush poplin…great stuff, light yet rugged and fast drying.