• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FiveStar Leather Reproduction J.A. DUBOW MFG CO. A2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ausreenactor

Yes, I asked if it was possible and he agreed. My reasoning was to have someone do it that was already familiar with the weight of the leather rather then find yet someone else to do it.

The patch is the 379BG.

Appreciate the response. I have a variety of great jackets here, and a LOT of super patches. I tried with a pre holed name tag on a kids A-2 and I am not happy enough with my work.

What IS that patch?

Pics of the jacket are great and the stitching is a LOT neater than anything I could do. Thanks again!

Couchy.

Kennyz

I really like the jacket and that chocolate seal color a bunch, Shawn!

Ken

Actually, I took it out, The lighting is horrible because its dark now. So only one picture.

I really, really like it.

I like my fit slightly loose so it would be able to accommodate flight gear without me becoming a wool and leather sausage.

I was intend to get an off the rack size, but Shawn is about full customer service, so its a tweaked size between a
46 and a 48, A stock 46 would probably been fine. At the time the shoulders seemed narrow on the ratios, but I think
that is just part of the Dubow pattern and Shawn has it dialed in.

The color to me is seal, the chocolate shade, that no maker ever seems to copy. So I am thrilled with chocolate.

The stitching is well done, but I wish I could have selected a slightly lighter brown. If I had planned better I could have
sent thread along with the zipper and dull knits.

The leather soft and flexible and a great weight for a period A-2.

I probably will have a new name tag put on, the very last bit of stitching went ever so slightly wonky. It was a $$$ Mash tag with an incised boarder. Don't get me wrong, its better than what you see on most originals.

I'm not sure but, but right now the waist seems a bit loose.

That's all for now, not sure is this is the right spot for a more in depth review.

Thanks Shawn!

leper-colony

leper-colony

Cleaned the lense, more natural light.

Attachments

• Polish_20201202_085356265.jpg
    Polish_20201202_085356265.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 351
  • Polish_20201202_085635439.jpg
    Polish_20201202_085635439.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 344

ties70

Looks a little stiff, but nothing that couldn't be solved with a rain shower or some moderate HWT... put some hot water on the collar, massage it a little... and form it into a natural and comfortable position. Should give you a quicker start on breaking the jacket in.

Oh, my jacket should be on it's way, soon....

Brettafett

Haha, it was a reply to the comment made, "The color to me is seal, the chocolate shade, that no maker ever seems to copy. So I am thrilled with chocolate."
Indeed its a compliment to Shawn.
Many repros are either a reddy russet or a darker seal. Not many makers have that classic mid chocolatey brown colour.

Nickb123

Haha, it was a reply to the comment made, "The color to me is seal, the chocolate shade, that no maker ever seems to copy. So I am thrilled with chocolate."
Many repros are either a reddy russet or a darker seal. Not many makers have that classic mid chocolatey brown colour.

cockpit’s russet horsehide comes to mind. I must have owned that one at least ten years ago, but to this day I fondly recall the pleasing mid-russet. The chrome tanned stuff seems to exhibit that nice chocolate shade.

Looks great to my novice eye! Other than the patches and size request was this an “off the shelf” jacket in terms of pattern? I assume those are the seal knits, he is also offering russets knits too correct?

mulceber

Ah, my mistake then. :D But yes, Shawn's jackets are coming along by leaps and bounds. I agree that, from the pictures, the color looks really close to Liberty Seal.

Status
Not open for further replies.