• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FiveStar Leather Looking for Recommendations on M-445A Jacket

Kermit3D

I am quite ignorant about this kind of jacket. From what I understand, the ANJ-4 is a jacket for the USAAF (fighter pilots and bomber crews), and the M-445A is a jacket for the US Navy (fighter pilots and bomber crews operating over the Atlantic ocean against kriegsmarine), right?

John Lever

I am quite ignorant about this kind of jacket. From what I understand, the ANJ-4 is a jacket for the USAAF (fighter pilots and bomber crews), and the M-445A is a jacket for the US Navy (fighter pilots and bomber crews operating over the Atlantic ocean against kriegsmarine), right?
Correct except there are 2 versions of anj4, long zip and short zip. Only one version of m445a

Saint-ex

Almost !

ANJ means Army Navy Jacket.

ANJ-3 was supposed to remplace A-2 and M422 and ANJ-4 replace B-3 and M445/M444.
It was in order to rationalize and standardize the equipment to avoid having 2 ranges in parallel.

Pilot

Correct except there are 2 versions of anj4, long zip and short zip. Only one version of m445a

John Lever

Can anyone spot something not right here?
I must admit I didn't notice the issue
20160925_163924_1.jpg
for several weeks

917_k

Last edited:

busdrivermike

Yes wondering if a "" walking foot" sewing machine been used?
Most likely, It would really be the only way to feed through layers avoiding slippage and bunching
I have a walking foot machine, it will sew through 8 layers Of patio umbrella material
Found it at a thrift store for $80 , spent $ 100 to give it a service making Sure its all
Good, it’s a {portable} :p If your a gorilla, machine all metal
Once the snow hits gonna try some projects, like a leather hoodie.
14A12162-7D78-4E70-BC23-9F2DB3AEB712.jpeg

Last edited:

Shawn Ali

Jan,

I think the enlarged collar is not too wide, but the shape is off. I tried to figure out why, but being no expert in these types of jackets, I have reached my limits pretty soon...

What I noticed is that original collar seem to be more rounded, and none of them "rides up" in the back of the neck (here compared to Shaw's "old" collar shape):

View attachment 45334

They seem to lie down rather flat:

View attachment 45335
This original collar shows a downward curve on the upper and lower line, while Shawn's jacket is the exact opposite. Maybe this is the same, when the jacket is worn...as I said, I do not really know what the problem is.

Ties
I will post some more images of the collar, as I am also working on Label development and some other pattern details.

Shawn